Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > doubt    

doubt

federic@
Italy

doubt

Hello everyone,
I �m writing to ask your advice.
I �m having drama lessons with my pupils at school. We are working on a play about the "Wizard of Oz"., which has been adapted and changed in some parts if compared to the original story.
One of the characters often uses this sentence:
- Let �s go to the teacher �s -  
or something similar:, like
-  Why don �t you go to the teacher �s? - 
I think these sentences are wrong, because of the �s after the noun "teacher".
Do you agree?
Thanks a lot.
Federica 

5 Apr 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Should it just be a straightforward plural? Let �s go to the teachers.
As it stands, with the apostrophe, it means Let �s go to the teacher �s house. Just as in, Let �s go to mine, means Let�s go to my house. 
Would that make sense, or is it just a misplaced apostrophe?  

5 Apr 2017     

federic@
Italy

Thanks a lot!
I think it �s a misplaced apostrophe.

5 Apr 2017     

schofkate
Spain

I agree with Cunliffe. It means Let �s go to the teacher �s house.
When talking, it is quite common to hear.
For example. "Where are you going?"
                          "I �m going to my friend �s."

It is understood that you mean your friend �s house. 

Or it means go and see the teachers and the apostrophe should not be there. Let �s go to the teachers. (Let us go and see the teachers) 

5 Apr 2017     

Mohamed Hamed
Egypt

The (possessive �s) sometimes refers to a place. When you say "baker �s", you mean the bakery.

5 Apr 2017     

KathrynBrooks1
United States

To elaborate, here are a few examples. Let �s go to the teachers. (Let �s go talk to some of the teachers who work at our school.) Let �s go to the teacher �s break room, to see if Mrs. Smith is there. (This is a room for teachers only.) For the apostrophe to be correct, a noun should follow the word "teacher �s." :-)

5 Apr 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Federic@,
Here in the north of England, if we say: "I �m going to X �s", (using an apostrophe �), it refers to going to a house, a building, a place, which is well-known to both the Speaker and the Listener.
"Let �s go to Maria �s" ( = "Let us go to the house of our mutual friend, Maria").
"Let �s go to Dad �s" ( = "Let us go to the house of our father").
"Let �s go to Robert �s" ( = "Let us go to the house of our brother, Robert, who we have recently been discussing").�
"Let �s go to the Doctor �s"�( = "Let us go to the surgery of the Doctor, and we both know which Doctor I mean").
"Let �s go to the Chemist �s" ( = "Let us go to the Pharmacy of the Chemist which I always use").
"Let �s go to the Newsagent �s" ( = "Let us go to the Shop of the Newsagent where I/we always buy our newspaper, or the Newsagent �s shop that we have recently been discussing").
Using this analogy:
"Let �s go to the Teacher �s" ( = "Let us go to the house/residence/classroom/private room/study of the Teacher who we all know and who we visit regularly").
This may be what is intended in the script.�
Les Douglas�

6 Apr 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Les. It is the same in the US.

6 Apr 2017