Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > UN-words.    

UN-words.

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

UN-words.

Dear Members,

I was talking, (in English), with a student today, and he was struggling to find a word which was the opposite of the Adjective, �necessary �. Eventually, he chose, �not necessary �.

I explained that the opposite of �necessary � is �unnecessary �.

With approximately 2,000 �UN Adjectives �, it is possible to form the negative/opposite/reverse of many words, (but not ALL), simply by adding �un � at the beginning of the word.

EXAMPLES:  Able = Unable   Believable = Unbelievable   Certain = Uncertain   Desirable = Undesirable   Easy = Uneasy   Friendly = Unfriendly   Godly = Ungodly   Helpful = Unhelpful   Important = Unimportant   Just = Unjust   Kind = Unkind   Loved = Unloved   Married = Unmarried   Natural = Unnatural   Official = Unofficial   Pleasant = Unpleasant   Qualified = Unqualified   Real = Unreal   Successful = Unsuccessful   Tidy = Untidy   Used = Unused   Varnished = Unvarnished   Wanted = Unwanted   Yielding = Unyielding   Zipped = Unzipped

So, Members, (especially the young beginners), if you are searching for the opposite of an Adjective, (and sometimes a Verb ... undo, unmake, unzip, etc. or an Adverb ... unhappily, untidily, unwisely, etc.), try saying it with �UN � at the beginning. Frequently, you will be correct! And even if it is NOT correct, the English person will probably guess what you are trying to say, and understand.

"Hello, Teacher, I am sorry, but my dog is very unclever!" "Oh, you mean your dog is unintelligent?" "Yes, Teacher! He is unintelligent. Sometimes, he is very silly!"

You see what I mean?

Good luck!

Les Douglas 

22 May 2017      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Les,

Is it unbelievable to believe that you love unpacking for us unexpected truth about unique (oh no ! it does not work for this one !) and simple grammar tips ? Go away uncertainty for the only reason you will not stay for long undiscovered !

Thanks for your precious Tools dear friend.

Hugs.

Maryse.

22 May 2017     

yanogator
United States

Les is definitely more!

22 May 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep, Le �s hear more from him! 

23 May 2017     

medamine
Tunisia

thanx a lot your posts are very helpful!

23 May 2017     

davegerber
United States

Completely agree with Maryse, what you going to change, if you telling same things year after year? When i ordered essay, because i was lazy to do my homework, i found out much more, than on all knowledges from school.

1 Sep 2017