Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me please    

Help me please

Adel A
Egypt

Help me please

He is a bad driver.He. crash. A) will. B) is going to

30 May 2017      

Minka
Slovenia

I don �t think that his being a bad driver represents circumstances from which you can assume he "is going to crash". 
I think it is rather a matter of opinion and would personally use "will" as in "I think he will crash."

However, someone might argue that his bad driving skills are so obvious, that the crash is really inevitable. Therefore, "is going to" probably isn �t impossible, but I don�t think it is the best choice here.  

30 May 2017     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Minka. There seems to be an implied "I think" in your example.
However, if you are in the car with him and starting to panic, then you would say, "Oh my goodness! He �s such a bad driver - we �re going to crash! Help!" It suggests immediate consequence.  

30 May 2017     

bouy0907
Canada

In this scenario, i think i would exclude "will" as an instrument referring to the future. In fact, the sentence is about a behavior or attitude that can be a sign or an evidence. " I am going to" serve perfectly the future when it comes to an action of signs and evidence.
For example: He is drunk, he is going to fall. In this sentence, being drunk is an evidence or a sign that this person may fall, and he is not planning to fall.

Sheers! 

1 Jun 2017     

FrauSue
France

I still think it depends on the context.
If you �re just chatting about him, I would use "will" - He �s such a bad driver that I assume he will crash one day. 
If you �re in the car or watching him drive, I would use "going to." 

2 Jun 2017