Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar help    

Grammar help

Maryamsh
Iran

Grammar help

Hello dear teachers 
Please help me, There is a grammar practice which I have some questions from, look at the bold verbs that I used. I wonder if I can use present perfect continuous instead of present perfect one (has been making or even made?)and use present perfect instead of simple past one (has become)
Please answer me with descriptions. Why should we use these tenses for these sentences?

Since then, Vanessa-Mae has made recordings; but it was in 1994 that she entered the field of pop music. The album immediately became popular with pop and classical music fans.

Thanks in advance 

18 Oct 2017      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi,
Since then, Vanessa-Mae has made recordings;� (a)
and
Since then, Vanessa-Mae has been making�recordings;� (b)
are both correct, depending on what the speaker wants to emphasize - the result/achievement/completeness of the action (a) or the process/duration of the ongoing action� (b).
but it was in 1994 that she entered the field of pop music. The album immediately became popular with pop and classical music fans.
�became � is the best choice here, you have the past time indicator ( �in 1994 �) and you are narrating a past event, hence Past Simple ( �became �)
That �s just my two pennies � worth; hope this helps.
Giorgi�

18 Oct 2017     

yanogator
United States

I �d like to add a little to Giorgi �s excellent answer.

If she has made only a few recordings since then, the present perfect expresses it best, because she hasn �t been making recordings over the whole period. If you could say "has made some recordings", then the present perfect is definitely right.
if she has made one or more recordings every year, then the present perfect continuous emphasizes the fact that the process has been taking place over the entire period.

Bruce 

18 Oct 2017