Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Daffynition October 23, 2017    

Daffynition October 23, 2017

douglas
United States

Daffynition October 23, 2017

Hi All,

Thanks Giorgi for choosing my daffyniton!  I really didn �t expect to win, there were some great contributions.  Anyway, here �s teh next word searching for your funny, thoughful, insightful defintions.  Pleae don �t give me a simple dictionary defintion, anyone can do that--the goal of the game is to have some fun, expand our vocabulray, and stimulate creativity.

The word for you to define is:

impignorate

Cheers,
Douglas

23 Oct 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Impignorate! I haven �t heard this verb in ages, but that �s not surprising as it is very rarely used. It is used in the narrowest of circumstances.  It means to swim at full pelt when pursued by a tiger shark. If the tiger shark isn �t exactly 13 �6 � � long, then you aren �t impignorating, you are just swimming like hell. 

23 Oct 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

This is a verb first coined by leading feminist intellectual Germaine Greer, in her ground-breaking book, The Female Enoch. It means to make a person sexist and ignorant by perpetuating gender stereotypes through the education system.   

23 Oct 2017     

maryse pey�
France

Well, let me explain to you this adjective : IMPossible IGNOred RATE.

When there is a survey an impignorate result is a particular percentage showing the main idea to point out absolutely because it justifies the very goal of the survey, the topic being dealt with.

For example : the last survey about the teachers of this site shows that 395% of them (on 401%) speak fluent English. So 395% is the impignorate percentage of members to provide ESL with English-speaking feelings about the exercises to do : they are able to speak English, to sleep and dream in English, to cook in an English way, to drive naturally on the left and so on...

23 Oct 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

This, in fact, has complex� roots. The Latin version sounds like this:
� �margaritas ante porcos �. - don �t cast pearls before swine.
Porcos - pork- pig.�
The modern version, �impignorate �� - ignore the pigs, at any rate!
Another theory, also, relates the origin of the word to Latin.
Impignorate - in porkos veritas - there is truth in pigs. 🐖
So,� if you say to your boss �I impignorate � , you might be understood differently.
1.� You are a pig and I won �t be kissing your ***
2. You are the piggiest of pigs, and I �ll be gladly kissing your ***, for this is where the truth lies.�
��

23 Oct 2017     

MoodyMoody
United States

Impignorate is an amalgam of pignon, French for "pinion," to prevent from flying, and "impregnate" in the sense of soak or saturate with a substance (not the make a woman or female animal pregnant sense). So impignorate means to soak the feathers of a bird or insect so that it cannot fly. Impignoration is an unfortunate effect of oil spills.

23 Oct 2017     

agagug
Canada

Impignorate: Noun, formal
(obsolete)

Etymology. 

From its Latin root "impius" meaning "Raising against Divinity" and "ignorare" meaning "not knowing"; the impignorate was in the ancient Rome empire, by the time of the incursion in the now known British Isles, a young aspiring to become noble yet ruthless peasant who failed to learn the language of the Roman Gods (Latin). Much later, a similar incursion led by a French noble called Guillaume of Normandy, who made an attempt to upgrade Latin to its ultimate divine state (French), left the impignorate speechless and revolted. Unrests followed in the back alleys of the royal court where the impignorates traded their ignorance of the divine language to what we now know as English. 

23 Oct 2017     

MarionG
Netherlands

Wow, after these definitions I �m not even going to try (and believe me, I used to be a fanatic word of the day player).
Well done everyone! Spinney...loved yours especially.

I �m so happy to see the game is back...might give me a reason to start visiting the forum again. 

25 Oct 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

IMPIGNORATE = Verb.

I am gratified, and I congratulate my Learned Colleagues, on supplying so much interesting linguistic documentation, with such clarity of explanation, and in such an erudite and informative manner.

As I read these fascinating explanations, I am reminded, that, in the Scientific World, whilst most modern locks use levers, in the time of my youth, locks were constructed using a complicated system of ball bearings. The system was ingeniously clever, but the construction of the locks was simplicity itself, and so it was possible to buy a lorry-load of these locks, for a very small amount of money indeed. Unfortunately, these locks broke very easily, and so, although cheap, they were practically useless.

Consequently, when we saw a lorry-load of these locks pass us in the street, someone would always remark, with a sly smirk on the face:

"That �s a load of ball-locks!"

Here is the correct definition. You will all be familiar with the Hypotenuse Rule. It was invented by Professor Sapir Whorf.

"KISS" = "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

This has since been improved, to:

"KISS" = "Keep It Simple, Student!"

IMPIGN      ORATE

EXPLANATION 

The Neogrammarian Sound Shift is from midnight to 8 p.m. So, the Eight-o �clock News, becomes the Ten-o �clock News.

Similarly, IMPIGN becomes IMPUGN.

IMPUGN   ORATE.

"Impugn" = "Physically assault". "Orate" = "A speech".

"To impignorate", is when the audience throws rotten fruit, vegetables, missiles, etc. at a boring speaker."

Incidentally, did you know that Sapir Whorf, was the seventh child in the family, and was a competent actor?

He appeared alongside the blonde, Dolly Parton, in a Walt Disney Production.

It was called: "Snow White and the Seventh Whorf ."

Les Douglas 

25 Oct 2017