Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I ________ to use my stickers.     

I ________ to use my stickers.

mari_18cf
Brazil

When we buy notebooks in Brazil they come with a sticker sheet at the beginning.

I �ve never used them because they �re incredibly beautiful and I wanted to save them for special occasions. 

Here we say "I take pity on using the stickers", which sounds wierd in English.

How would a native speaker express that? It �s like to feel pity to waste something amazing. (object)

12 Dec 2017      

yanogator
United States

I �m reluctant to use the stickers. This would be pretty common in English, but isn �t the sentiment you �re looking for.

I don �t like to waste my stickers. This is a little closer to what you �re looking for, and still sounds natural.

I can �t think of a way of saying just what you want, in a way that sounds natural. I think we �re just not quite as sentimental.

Tell me the sentence in Portuguese, to see if that brings anything to mind. 
Bruce 

12 Dec 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Where I live we would say:

I like to save the stickers

They are too good to be used - I like to save them

I never use the stickers - I save them 

They are too good to be used / It is a pity to use them. I �ll save them 

Cheers

Jayho 

12 Dec 2017     

kwsp
United States

"I don �t want to use my stickers - they �re too awesome!" Then you clutch them to your chest because you love them so much! That�s what the girls around here say and do.

12 Dec 2017     

douglas
United States

"It would be a pity to use these stickers."

13 Dec 2017     

mari_18cf
Brazil

The sentence in Portuguese would be "tenho pena de usar os adesivos" 

14 Dec 2017     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Mari. I agree with Douglas �s version, and the Portuguese brought to mind "It pains me to use the stickers". I think that is the most direct translation, and it works well in English. (No, I don �t speak Portuguese, although I can say Eu não falo Português, thanks to one of my Brazilian friends. I used an online translator to see the various translations of "pena").

Bruce 

14 Dec 2017