Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > DIALOGIC READING IN ESL / DEBATES    

DIALOGIC READING IN ESL / DEBATES

araceli ruiz lopez
Spain

DIALOGIC READING IN ESL / DEBATES

Hi, everybody!

First of all, Season Greetings to you all.

I �m interested in the Dialogic Reading method applied to English teaching. I think this method has a lot of potential for the development of reading comprehension and oral expression and interaction.

The problem is that I don �t find much information on the subject which deals specifically with Language Teaching. What I find is all very general and very theoretical. I´ve only found some stuff on the use of this method for literary reading, but I want to use it with a variety of topics. It �s not literature what interests me here, but, as I mentioned before, the work on skillls, together with the use of vocab and liguistic structures, of course.

I have already designed a little lesson plan following this method, but I guess it´s not flawless! Anyway, I intend to upload it and share it pretty soon, so you can tell me about it.

So, if any of you has found something or, even better, have used it themselves, I´d be grateful if you shared your experiences.

Also, I´m preparing a formal debate with my students. Now, here I have just the opposite problem. I fin so many things on the Internet that I feel at a loss. Again, your own experiences would be much more valuable than any Youtube videoclip or tutorial.

As you can see, I´m trying to include novelties in my teaching routine, and I suppose this will make me make thousands of mistakes, but this is what makes English teaching so thrilling, don´t you think so?

Happy New Year everybody!!!

26 Dec 2017      

araceli ruiz lopez
Spain

Sorry for the typo, I can �t remove them!

26 Dec 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

Hi!
I like that kind of thing too, except I get them to do the reading. I have a number of debates which I �ll PM to you along with agreement/disagreement cards. 
Best
Dale 

26 Dec 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I thought, here is something I haven �t heard about - dialogic reading, so I googled it, then I realised, that �s the method of teaching EAL that I find the most successful and I use it all the time. This is what I got:
Dialogic reading Of course, there are the obligatory acronyms (yawn). The only issue I have with it is that the students are always keen to get to the end of the story! So, what I do... Obviously, if there are any pictures, we describe them, sometimes with the book open, sometimes with it closed. I ask about motives: why did he/why might he have done that? What would you do?/ have done? I ask them to turn the books over while questioning them. I start sentences off for them to finish. Before turning a page, I ask them to come up with three words they think they will see (not a and the etc...) I ask what they think will happen next, I make ppts with key visuals to prompt comment. Sometimes, I use the visuals for sequencing, sometimes for general questioning. I ask them to do impromptu interviews with main characters. Hotseat activities are great here. I tart mine up by playing that game where they can �t say yes/no/maybe. So, a student is in the hot seat as the main character and the others have to come up with 3 questions. They can be related to the text, e.g. What were you wearing when you went to the museum? Who did you go with? Or imaginary: where were you born? How many sisters have you got..? With a patient class, you can develop vocab by picking a topic word e.g. if your character travelled by train - in 2 mins, list all the methods of transport you can think of... Alongside your book, you can do a running narrative, ending up with key visuals that the students then build back up into the story. You can tell a story like this before looking at the book, actually. I �ve got some ppts relating to Macmillan readers, if you would like to see them. Also, I �m including this as I think it �s good for questioning techniques, as you can approach any story like this. The idea is by a member called Lauriane. Lauriane �s lesson

btw, TaskMagic http://www.mdlsoft.co.uk/index.php  is a wonderful piece of software. You can put in up to 500 words from your book, or dialogue, or mix and match, all sorts... It is a wonderful tool for use with a reader. You can get a free three month trial, well worth it!

Just a few ideas and I do so agree with you about dialogic reading and I look forward to seeing your lesson! 

EDIT: as for debate, have you checked out the �for or against� wss here? Also �picture based discussion�. http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/search.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=for+and+against&username=&B2=Search

27 Dec 2017     

araceli ruiz
Albania

Thank you all for your quick replies. And you offer a good bunch of ideas that you put into practise with your classes, That �s excellent! 
I �ll also check through the links that you have posted and I �ll tell you about them. Thanks again!

27 Dec 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

I have a lesson plan in my submissions called Speed Debating -- it is for higher level students. 

Another format I have used is to find a small newspaper article (500-750 words) with some small element of controversy to it. 
Review any complicated words (sometimes will attach a word list), distribute it ahead of time so that they have plenty of time to absorb. Then, before the debate, review the article, make sure everybody understand everything. Then divide them into two teams, one side agrees with the premise of the article, the other side disagrees.    I let them run with it for about 30 minutes (1 hour class), then bring them all back together, and then ask them what they REALLY think -- then just have an open-floor discussion. I �ve been using this format in China for several years, and it �s always been a hit

27 Dec 2017     

araceli ruiz lopez
Spain

Thank you very much for your ideas, I �ll see how I can apply them to my lessons

28 Dec 2017     

araceli ruiz lopez
Spain

Hi there, I �ve followed your recommendation of checking the for and against wss. I �ve chosen two of them to be used first. The class are 18 students. So this is how they �re going to get organised:

I divide the classroom into four imaginary squares, like this:

ANIMAL TESTING  
 ANIMAL TESTING
 FAST FOOD  FAST FOOD 

•  I tell them to go in the square they prefer.
  • The idea is to get two teams of four proposers and two teams of four opposers, plus two chairpeople / timekeepers
  •  If there are more than four people in any square, then we �ll give it a toss, till we get the groups even and two people for the moderation.
  • The participants in the first debate will be the audience for the second one and the other way around.
  • Every group is given a worksheet with instructions and only their arguments (for / against). They have to agree on the order, the ones they choose / leave out, and they can add more if they wish.
  • In a worksheet I uploaded yesterday, they are explained how to act, (the first proposer introduces the subject, the last opposer closes up, the chairperson conducts the debate, etc.) 
  • And after the previous preparation, they �re supposed to be ready to debate
I �ll let you know how it works.Thank you all for your suggestions. They �ve been really useful

3 Jan 2018