Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I wish you to????    

I wish you to????

Katiapulko
Ukraine

I wish you to????

Hello, dear friends!
Happy holidays to everyone!
I have a quick question. I know that when we use "wish" wanting somebody to be healthy or happy, we say "I wish you happiness and health.
But the question is: is it possible from grammatical point of view to say "I wish you to be healthy, I wish you to have a lot of luck " etc?
I can �t find it in any books but my colleagues say it �s possible.
Please tell me what �s correct and if you know any references, I will appreciate it a lot.

Warm wishes,
Katia 

27 Dec 2017      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

there �s the following option:wish somebody/something to do something He was not sure whether he wished her to stay or go.
However, the meaning you �re referring to is under #4
So, it is possible from the grammatical point of view to use direct object + infinitive after wish, but as to the usage in this context it �s probably better to opt for a more natural wording.

You might find these holiday wishes suggestions useful. 

27 Dec 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Excellent answer and ref �s from ueslteacher - and nice to �see � you here! 

Katiapulko - Many things are �grammatically possible �, but that doesn �t mean they would ever be used by a native speaker. In the examples you give, I would say, no, do not use them and as ueslteacher says, look for a more natural usage. You would say �I hope you have a lot of luck �, and as for the health one, maybe something like �I hope you stay healthy �.   

28 Dec 2017     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Thanks a lot for such quick answers! And I �m glad to hear from you, Sophia! :-)
 Happy New Year to everybody! Wishing you a lot of inspiration and reward what what you do! 

30 Dec 2017