Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Some passive sentences    

Some passive sentences

inmaaa86
Spain

Some passive sentences

When we have a long sentence to turn into passive voice sometimes I am not sure of the place of some of the words.. 
For example: I have to choose the place to see it, I think it is : the best place to see has to be chosen by me. Other example: his company will send him abroad on business, I think it is: he will be sent abroad on business by his company. The place of the  agent is the element I doubt about.

18 Jan 2018      

MoodyMoody
United States

Grammatically speaking, both of your sentences are correct. However, stylistically, I wouldn �t use the first one about the best place to see. It �s clumsy and awkward. The active voice works much better. 

In the second, about being sent abroad for business, the passive is fine. I might even leave out the agent entirely because that �s implied by "on business."

That �s my take as an American English speaker. 

18 Jan 2018     

PammyMadrid
Spain

In response to your question, I would say the agent usually goes at the end of the sentence.
Your first sentence  needs to include "it" and forget " best"
The place to see it has to be chosen by me .

21 Jan 2018