Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To all the ESL teachers    

To all the ESL teachers

libertybelle
United States

I use grammar when in doubt, but as I �ve said before, spoken English is a living thing. It is used, mis-used, abused, changed and what not.

I think written English should be taught by the book, but spoken English should keep up with the times. I don �t mean swear words, street language, rap, gangsta or ghetto language either, but normal, polite,daily spoken English. The kind I �m thinking about is the language spoken in teen films made by Disney.
(High School Musical etc.)

I know many will cringe at that, but how would you re-act if someone learned YOUR language from a book and sounded like something from the 19th century?
The same applies for British English:
In Britain, they don �t teach Cockney in school, even though it is spoken by a group of people in London!

So I think the language you pick up can be used with a grain of salt together with what you �ve learned in school.

10 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

We teach both formal and informal for spoken and written communication, and we teach the reasons for difference. 

Most of my intermediate adult students easily understand the teachers but can not understand everyday English - maybe 30% at the most for anything on TV.   They struggle when they finally go to mainstream classes and find that they can only understand 50% of what the lecturer is saying.  They need to not only understand but to also be understood by the locals, of which many will not be native English speakers but perhaps migrants or other international students.  Everyday language for them will mostly be informal yet they have to be able to listen to a formal lecture and take notes.  In addition, a formal lecture will probably contain a fair amount of informal language and possibly slang as well.

However, they also need to know grammatically correct formal language in order to have the ability to produce formal written correspondence for work or study, yet be able to informally communciate in writing through personal letters, e-mails and blogs at the appropriate level  (i.e. dependent on recipient/forum).

Teaching both in conjunction is an essential part of our curriculum aimed at international students progressing on to academic study in our country.

BTW, my students love it when I teach them informal language, like �how are ya today � and �watcha doin � on the weekend �. Naturally we discuss how to say these correctly and appropriate usage but they do comment that they had heard these and didn �t know what they meant.  This is such an important aspect to them in being able to blend in.

10 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

�Sorry I just got back and am trying to catch up. 

There is a big difference between what we sometimes call street English which is more "poor" English than informal  and "My favorite food is apples."

Harim - what do you mean by "language you picked up."   Mother tongue is not just picked up. 

I say, "I picked up a little Spanish while traveling through Spain last summer."

I �m still waiting for you to clarify your original statement.

"Should we teach the Englishes we picked up or the one we learnt ? "

10 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2