Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar    

Grammar

Sara5
Kuwait

Grammar

Dear teachers, Could someone explain A few bites or Few bites And why Thanks alot

21 Mar 2018      

douglas
United States

I �m not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I assume it is the fishing idiom "to get a few bites"

When fishing, fish will bite-at (or nibble) the bait on  the hook without actually swallowing the bait (and the hook).  For a fisherman, this means the fish is showing interest and with a little patience it may eventually take the bait.

This idiom is often used to indicate that a few people are showing interest in your proposal, but haven �t yet committed to anything.

"I�ve had a few bites." - some people have shown interest

"I�ve had few bites." -not many people have shown interest.

22 Mar 2018     

Engteachar
Argentina

If you refer to the indefinite article ("a"), when to use and when not to use it, there is a difference. When you use the indefinite article, it has a positive meaning. And when you do not use it, it has a negative meaning.

For example: "I have a few friends."  (it means you are satisfied)
                       "I have few friends."  (it means you are not happy with this situation of having few friends, as if you were complaining)
In your example: a few bites, would mean you are satisfied, that it was enough; "few bites" would mean it was not enough.

22 Mar 2018     

Minka
Slovenia

I think "a few" often means the same as some (I had some bites, I have a few/some friends etc.)

If you say "few", you are pointing out there are bot many. In the case of friends it can be negative (you are not happy about that fact), in some other cases (I had few problems) it could be positive. But you point out that the number of .... is low.

22 Mar 2018