Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Countability of nouns    

Countability of nouns

LenkaW
Czech Republic

Countability of nouns

Dear colleagues,

could you help me with these descriptions of a sandwich?

There is some tuna, some lettuce and some ketchup in my sandwich.

There are some mushrooms, some gherkins and some tomatoes in my sandwich.

These sentences are clear.

But what about SAUSAGE, ONION, CUCUMBER? You don´t usually put a whole sausage, onion or cucumber into a sandwich, so I think it´s better or a least possible to say:

There´s some cucumber, some onion and some sausage (or some salami) in my sandwich. There´s a sausage in my sandwich - if there is one whole sausage.

Is that right?

And what about tomato? Is it also possible to say There´s some tomato in my sandwich? And some gherkin, if they´re chopped?

We had a lively discussion about this in my class yesterday and now I feel a bit uncertain about that. Could you give me a plain explanation? Nouns that can be both countable and uncountable depending on the context are quite tricky.

Thank you very much :)

Lenka

31 May 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Lenka,
I �m not brilliant at explaining grammar points, but I �ll comment about what is said and hopefully someone else will do the explaining! 

Most sandwich fillings that I can think of (including mushroom, gherkin and tomato) are fine with the singular even when there is more than one.  I �ll phrase them as questions, imagining somebody with allergies...
Is there any mushroom in this sandwich? Is there any sausage in this sandwich? Yes, there �s some sausage... 
Is there any cucumber? Yes, there �s some cucumber. 
Is there any gherkin? Is there any egg? Is there any  onion...? Is there any beetroot? Is there any potato? Is there any salad? I guess the reason is we are not talking numbers, but amounts/quantities. By the way, we don �t particularly need �some � or �any �. 
There are items which need a plural. 
There are some Brussels sprouts in my sandwich.  Please take them out. 

31 May 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Lenka:

You are not alone in being puzzled by some aspects of English Grammar.

Lynne (Cunliffe) makes some valuable points.

When people have a written or spoken conversation, (more especially when it is spoken), there are certain conventions. Native speakers generally follow these conventions, from habit.

For example, they take turns at speaking, first Person A, then Person B, A, B, and so on. It saves time, it helps conversation, and it is a polite way of exchanging information.

They don�t CONSCIOUSLY think about any convention � they just DO IT.

This applies to ALL LANGUAGES.

Between a Speaker and a Listener, the context �says� many unspoken things. For example, if I enter your Bank, YOU automatically know that I�m going to talk about MONEY, and NOT to ask if you sell FISH. This �unsaid information� is automatically �understood� by both persons.

� � �

Now to your letter.

You are correct regarding sausage/onion/cucumber sandwiches. In normal situations, we NEVER put a whole sausage, onion, or cucumber in a SANDWICH.

This �unsaid information� is automatically �understood� by both persons.

(A �hot dog� is a special kind of food, which is a whole sausage in a bun, very often served at Barbecues.)

In any case, if you are in a Party, Restaurant or Sandwich Shop, you can SEE what type of sandwich you are getting. This information is not given, it is �unsaid�. But, it is �understood� by the speaking individuals.

GIVING INFORMATION:

Customers frequently say, "Thank you!" when they receive information, service, food, etc.

�We have several sandwiches! We have tuna/lettuce/egg mayonnaise/pork/bacon, lettuce and tomato/salmon/mushrooms/tomato/gherkins, etc. with white bread/brown bread/ wholemeal bread/etc.�

�Salt, pepper, ketchup/serviettes/plates/knives, forks and spoons are on the table, in the corner�.

(Different people like or dislike ketchup, or garlic, for example, so the restaurant doesn�t NORMALLY put it in the sandwich. IF IT IS in the sandwich, THEY SAY it is in the sandwich!)

�Oh, look, my friend! There�s tomatoes, eggs, pineapple, garlic and sliced beetroot in this sandwich!�

QUESTIONS, beginning with: �Excuse me!� and ending with �Please.�
�Have you/do you have � a chicken?/a salad?/a sausage?�. ���.�Yes, we have!�/No, we haven�t!�/ OR �Yes, we do!�/No, we don�t!�

Singular Sandwich, or Plural Sandwiches:
"Is this/are these � cheese/egg/banana?� ���. �Yes, it is!�/�No, it isn�t!� OR �Yes, they are!� OR �No, they aren�t!�

When there are very few sandwiches visible, or the shop will close soon:

�Is there any coleslaw/beef/bacon and lettuce available?� �Yes, there is!� OR �No. there isn�t!� OR �We have only one/two/three left, Sir/Madam�.

When there is an ingredient which you like/don�t like.

�Is there garlic/gherkin in this sandwich?� ���. �Yes, there is!� OR �No. there isn�t!�

�Is the gherkin chopped/sliced/whole?� �It�s chopped/sliced/whole/I don�t know. Let�s take a look � yes, it�s chopped/sliced/whole!�

�Miss, there are Peas in my Chicken Sandwich!� ���. �Sorry, I�ll bring you a fresh one!�

IN A RESTAURANT:

"Would you like ketchup/sauces/salad cream/dips/mayonnaise/etc. Sir/Madam?"

"Yes, please!/No, thank you/ ketchup, please!"

I repeat! Please, take note that much of the vocabulary is �unsaid�, but it is �understood� by everyone.

These include words and phrases, such as, �A sandwich in our Restaurant�; �all of our sandwiches�; �the sandwich which you can see in front of you�; �to eat with your sandwich�;  �do you want?�; �some�; �any�; �less?�; �more?�; etc.

Most customers and staff are in a hurry and they want the transaction completed without wasting time talking.

� � �

�Waiter, do you have Frog�s Legs?� ���. �No, Sir! I always walk this way!�

Lenka, there are lots of other possible answers but I hope that these help you.

All the Best!

Les Douglas

31 May 2018     

LenkaW
Czech Republic

Thank you both very much for the brilliant explanation.

The discussion originated during this game, which I have adapted a little bit for my group of adult students:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=792764#thetop

So are both these sentences in such a context correct?

There´s just little mushroom in my sandwich. Could I have some more/a little more?

There are just two small mushrooms in my sandwich. Could I have one more/a few more?

And which other sandwich fillings except for Brussels sprouts need always plural? Could you give me more examples, please?

Lenka

1 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What a great resource!

�There �s not much mushroom in my sandwich. � It would be strange to count the mushrooms, but if you did, your second sentence is also fine. 

As for other things you can put in a sandwich that need a plural: Brussels sprouts, peas... I just can �t think of anything else (!) and God forbid you should find those items in your sandwich!

Just for your information, my favourite sandwiches are: mashed banana on brown bread, salted tomato on white bread, salmon and cucumber on granary. All with Lurpak butter. 
Edit: Prawns! There are (There�s is acceptable in speech)  not many prawns in my sandwich. Sardines. I�m still thinking... 

1 Jun 2018     

LenkaW
Czech Republic

Thank you very much for your great help. I can expect a lively discussion in my class on Wednesday. English grammar is really very interesting :)

Thank you and have a nice weekend :)

Lenka

2 Jun 2018