Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need to improve my pronounciation    

I need to improve my pronounciation

pfreites
Argentina

I need to improve my pronounciation

Hello teachers!
                        I have a young girl in 3rd year, secondary school, who has already arrived from California after having lived there for 6 years. Today I taught her for the first time and she constantly checked my pronounciation. I haven�t had the opportunity to travel abroad to improve my fluidity and sounds. Here, in my town, there are not many opportunities to practice speaking with a native speaker. Really, I felt ashamed.
So, my question is: Do you know any course, maybe on-line, that can help me get a better pronounciation?
Thanks a lot!!       Embarrassed

10 Mar 2009      

nayomby
Mexico

There are some good videos in You Tube. The Sounds of Engligh by the BBC. They use different examples and they are short. I don �t have the exact URL but I think they will be easy to find.

I hope it is useful!

10 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

It �s so difficult when students question you! (It used to happen with me and grammar when I first started.) �I had a student with great pronunciation and she said she practiced every day by listening to a book/the news/material for dictation, and reading aloud from the transcript at the same time. �If you want to do this you could try:

http://www.npr.org/templates/archives/archive.php?thingId=1101

which has free transcripts and lets you pause or go back with the audio.

Another useful website is:
http://international.ouc.bc.ca/pronunciation/

Also, I don �t know how it works, but I know that some people use Skype to connect with people in other countries to practice a language.

A good idea might be to focus on your problem sounds; in my experience Spanish speakers make the most mistakes with: "th," worlds starting and ending in "s," "ch" versus "sh," "y" versus "j," "b" versus "v," and long and short vowel sounds ("stick" versus "steak" for example) �These may not be a problem for you at all, but it �s a place to start.

Good luck!

10 Mar 2009     

xiles31
China

Hi!  Another suggestion: find and download "English pronunciation in use" as a torrent file (using bittorent or other); the size of the file is about 250Mb, in includes a book and 4 cd �s. The book is just brilliant; i use it almost everyday to help my Chinese students correct their mistakes.

If you can �t find the link, ask me again.

Good luck!

11 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi...

I have sent you a private message.

11 Mar 2009     

pfreites
Argentina

Thanks a lot for your answers I�d take into account all of them.

kisses Thumbs Up

11 Mar 2009     

crashid
Peru

I also need help with my pronunciation.
I �d like to request you if you could send me some of the links that our collegues send you to your private message.

Thanks in advance.

11 Mar 2009     

crashid
Peru

I Would like to tell you that you can use that student who just came from use as a resource for teaching pronunciation and to help improving your own English.

I know when drilling words or drilling chunks, she can lead the groups for repeating the words.

Try to think how useful she can be for your class. Think possitive. We should also recognize we are not natives, but we can be like one if we work hard. Students also should know we are human beings, we have mistakes all the time.

11 Mar 2009