Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day

Thanks again to jfaraujo for selecting me as the Word of the Day winner. Here is your new word: tragematopolist. Anyone who gives the correct definition is automatically disqualified. Give me your best shot at a "daffynition"!

13 Jul 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A tragematopolist is a person who lives in a tragematopoly, a type of city. These tragematopolies are an ecologist �s dream: they have banned the motor car, that horrible filthy polluter! So, how does a tragematopolist get around? It �s pretty self-explanatory, but the competition demands a definition, so here it is: trage = pull, mat = small carpet, polist = city dweller. So, a tragematopolist travels on foot, with their mat and when they are tired, they just roll it out and have a lie-down. One of our members on here is taking this to a new dimension and is working on a new, improved version, the trageflyingmatopoly. 

14 Jul 2018     

maryse pey�
France

Oh oh ! TRAGEMATOPOLIST is the serious fever caught by the POLITE POLICEMEN thinking that it is a TRAGEDY to be jailed in MARSEILLE (a French city in the South of France, a port once called MASSILIA in Roman language).

But actually the more striken policemen are Italian ! Why ?

Tragedy in Italian is TRAGEDIA,

Crazy, insane are MATTO in Italian

Marseille (French) is MARSIGLIA in Italian

Mouse in Italian is TOPO (a mouse becomes crazy when it is locked in a very small cage)

Police is POLIZIA in Italian

List (English) is LISTA in Italian

So in Italian this word means "� una tragedia da diventare matto per la polizia di essere in prigione sulla lista di Marsiglia". In other words (English) it is "It is a tragedy leading to craziness for the police to be jailed on the Marseille �s list".

Is my explanation clear enough ?

14 Jul 2018     

jfaraujo
Portugal

Tragematopolist is someone who sufffers from the tragedy of living in a city.

17 Jul 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

TRAGEMATOPOLIST 

I am pleased that MoodyMoody has introduced a note of seriousness into the WOD Competition.

Several Members have correctly noted the reference to �TRAGedy � in this word, but then, they went sadly adrift.

There are MANY literary references here.

They are, what we in the World of Linguistics call Pseudo-Out-Of-Context-Words --- Poo Context Words.

I prefer the following slightly more technical phrase: "Fricative Kushti Interlanguage". I think it gives a much clearer explanation.

In the World of Drama, we speak of: "treading the bare boards", which means �going on stage in the theatre �.

But, in our dissection of TragematopoList we see �MAT � = a modest reference to �The Red Carpet �.

And, as final proof, we know that Shakespeare �s works were strongly influenced by the Irish Dramatist, Oscar Wilde.

What clearer evidence is there of this than the phrase �Top o � the list �?

For, the word "Tragematopolist" occurs in Scene 3, Act 14 of Hamlet.

It is where Hamlet, escaping with his wife, Yorrick, gives praise to all Norsemen: "A Norse, a Norse, my kingdom for a Norse!"

"A lass, poor Yorrick, I knew her well ... the water was so fresh."

Here, we have Shakespeare �s own fulsome publicity, for his most-renowned, red-carpet, top-o-the list, theatrical tragedy ...

Hamlet.

Les Douglas 

18 Jul 2018