Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (Week) --WOD 2018 33    

Word of the Day (Week) --WOD 2018 33

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (Week) --WOD 2018 33

Hi All,

Thank-you Maryse for choosing my daffynition--hopefully this one won �t get censored either :)

The word of the week is cherimoya 

Let �s hear what you can come up with for this scrumptious little word.

Cheers,
Douglas

13 Aug 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Much to the chagrin of the poor beleaguered English, there is and always has been, a special relationship between the French and the Scots. In the Outer Hebrides, from where I have just returned, there is a small island, Eilean BeauBeag, where they speak Fraelic. How so and what is it? When Bonnie Prince Charlie landed in the Hebrides, he of course brought lots of Frenchmen with him. The bonnie Scottish lasses didn �t waste any time in marrying these garlic-loving eaters of snails and hey presto, the language of Fraelic (an amalgam of French and Gaelic) came about. It is still spoken, but only on Eilean BeauBeag. So, cherimoya is Fraelic for my darling. I must add that it is a truly beautiful language. Try it. Look into your partner �s eyes, hold their hand gently, if you have garlic breath, turn away and say lovingly and longingly �Cherimoya�. 

13 Aug 2018     

maryse pey�
France

Lynne ! tss tss tss ! What a laugh when reading your daffynition !

Let �s try mine now !

CHERIMOYA is - you are absolutely right - a mixing of several languages but more selfish than Lynne said.

CHERI comes from French, from the verb CHERIR that means - more or less - WORSHIP, ADORE, BE VERY DEAR TO THE HEART

I is for Y, Spanish for AND

MOY is old French for MOI that means ME

and YA is German for English YES

So, very long ago, the very 1st Italian immigrant - completely "drunk" due to the serious "tempests" he had sailed through - who stepped down from the storm-shaken boat for the 1st time on the American seashore tried to speak English... But as his mind was still troubled by the movement of the furious waves he said CHERIMOYA instead of "Safe I am here on this blessed land ! "

Ah here it is when you suffer from sea-sick trouble !

13 Aug 2018     

vebvibes
Indonesia

Let me try,

Cher = A river of central France
I = me
moya (muya in Spanish-Quechua) =circle

"I am the circle of Cher"

13 Aug 2018     

jfaraujo
Portugal

Cherimoya is a word of Mayan origin, which has been mispelt as "moya" and it means an ancient Mayan cherry tree!

13 Aug 2018     

MoodyMoody
United States

It is not well-known that Ché Guevara was fascinated by Santería and other African-based religions while he worked in Cuba and later the Congo. As an avowed Communist, he was embarrassed by this obsession and strove mightily to keep it secret. However, his obsession, especially with the Orissa of storms, led him to attend ceremonies in secret on the outside of the group. That way, he could escape notice. Cherimoya is the last linguistic link to this history.

Che- Ché
Rim- Outside of a group
Oya- Orissa of storms in Vodou and Santería 

13 Aug 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�

�Cherimoya!�

I am pleased that so many ESLP Members are taking part in the Word of the Day Competition. Despite its apparent silliness, the game is an excellent way of keeping your �thinking apparatus� in good working order. It has numerous linguistic benefits.

The phrase �Cherimoya� is a form of greeting used before eating a meal. It is spoken by a backward tribe of cannibals who live in the centre of Asia, on an uninhabit�����ed island, close to the mountainous region of Holland. (Holland = Hoch Land = Highland). The phrase is similar to the English phrase, �Bon Appetit�.

Incidentally, did you know that cannibals never eat Circus Clowns because they taste funny? Cannibals are very fussy eaters � especially the Vegetarians! I remember being at a Cannibal Annual Magic Dinner, and my neighbour said to his friend: �I must be honest and say that I don�t like our President!� His friend replied: �Well, just leave him on the side of the plate, and eat the vegetables.�

I said previously that they were a backward tribe. This is true, because they write from bottom to top, from right to left, and they speak their language backwards, from the Full Stop at the end, to the Capital Letter at the beginning! So, in Cannibal Language, it is easy to see that �Cherimoya� is actually a cannibalised version of, �A yummy wretch�.

�

Les Douglas

13 Aug 2018     

yanogator
United States

Les, I think you have been heavily influenced by Denis Norden and Frank Muir on My Word! on the radio. (Or I wouldn�t be surprised if you taught them everything they know).      :)

Bruce 

13 Aug 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fantastic, Les! Cherimoya!
Hey Bruce, let �s have a daffynition off you! 

Lynne  

14 Aug 2018     

douglas
United States

I think I have to give this one to Les--congratulations Les.

20 Aug 2018