Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary problem    

Vocabulary problem

mari_18cf
Brazil

Vocabulary problem

Can somebody help me understand the highlighted part. I didn �t get it. Thanks in advance. (by the way, it �s a podcast)

Josh: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I �m Josh Clark, there �s Charles W. "Chuck" Bryant, and there is Jeri. So this is Stuff You Should Know, the "Dreaming of Summer in the Middle of Winter Edition."
Chuck: [LAUGHS] Oh my friend, ice cream is a year-round treat for me.
Josh: Yeah?
Chuck: Sure.
Josh: I know. I had some last night-
Chuck: Unfortunately. Oh yeah? What �d you have? We �re going to buzz-market a lot probably.
Josh: Rocky Road and Vividly Vanilla.
Chuck: What brand is that?
Josh: Kroger.
Chuck: Oh, yeah?
Josh: Yeah, they �re delicious.
Chuck: Nice.
Josh: Yeah.
Chuck: Was it heavy or light?
Josh: It was light.
Chuck: [LAUGHS] Yeah.
Josh: Yeah, after reading this I was like, "Man, this is very light."
Chuck: A lot of air in there.
Josh: I taught myself to juggle with them.
Chuck: Oh. Well, that �s exciting.
Josh: That was a cross-reference.
Chuck: Yeah. I �m a Ben & Jerry �s guy.
Josh: Well, yeah. It �s great stuff.
Chuck: Yeah. Can �t have too much of it, though, because I got the lactose issues.

16 Aug 2018      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Mari,
I �m not sure if you are asking what juggling is. It is this:

If you know what juggling is, but are confused about juggling ice cream, I �m sure Josh is talking about containers of ice cream - probably the pint size (about 1/2 liter).

A cross-reference is a notation in one place (in a book or other material) that directs you to another place for more information. I can �t figure out how that works into this conversation, though. I think he �s referring to his line that starts, "Yeah, after reading this...", but I think there�s some information missing here for us to understand the reference.

Oh, and Kroger (a major US grocery chain with its headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio, where I live) does make good ice cream, especially their Private Selection brand. Their chocolate ganache ice cream is great stuff!

Bruce 

16 Aug 2018     

mari_18cf
Brazil

the vocabulary is ok, juggling and cross-reference. I just didn �t get them in the context.

But now the first sentence makes sense. Oh, I didn �t think of it literally, juggling the containers. That �s clear now.

The cross-reference sentence I didn �t get either. He might have read about air in the ice-cream elsewhere, about its lightness. Maybe. 

16 Aug 2018