Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Summer Camp    

Summer Camp

fletsch
Canada

Summer Camp

Hi everyone: I am the owner of a summer esl adventure camp in Squamish British Columbia Canada. I am looking for some great ideas and activities for intermediate kids ages 17-24. These activities would mostly be outdoor learning activities that stress speaking and listening skills (games, races, treasure hunts, etc.), but were fun and exciting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help, Fletsch

11 Mar 2009      

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

Hey, I �ve been working in a summer camp the last few years.  One of the activities that really worked was a murder mystery.  You obviously have to invent the story (although if you �re interested I might have a few lying about) and then the monitors are the characters, each of which has a series of facts that they know about the crime...motives, alibis etc.  The idae is that the kids have to work in groups, going round and interrogating the suspects.  So, it practises speaking and listening.  You �ve probably already thought of it but if not I can reccomend it as the kids (and monitors) always had fun.  

11 Mar 2009     

mokus19
Hungary

1. "The Pirate Game" for example would be great for them. Some of them would be the pirates some of them would be shipwrecked on, what they think, was a deserted island. The shipwrecked would have to decide on what to do on the island, how to acquire some food,how to build their shelters, and suddenly they notice a pirate ship sailing towards the island and some pirates appear on the island. The pirates don �t know about the shipwrecked persons, but the latter know they would be in danger if the pirates noticed them. The pirates are looking for some treasure chests that they had hidden on the island some time ago. Unfortunately for the shipwrecked people the pirate captain notices the smoke of the fire they try to put out. They should agree on whether they look for the shipwrecked people or they risk to find the treasure chests and others will find out about their secret....
PRACTICE: problem solving, agreement-disagreement...

2. "The War of Numbers"
This game is played in two groups. Each group has different number cards in different colours (one group blue the other group yellow) The aim is to collect as many numbers as you can from your opponents while everybody tries to hide in order nobody can read his/her number. If somebody can read a number he says it aloud thus indicating that he/she managed to read your number. Those players whose numbers are cried aloud drop out of the game. Those group is the winner which can collect more numbers in a given time. You need a whistle to indicate them that the game is over :). This game is fun to play especially in the dark with flashlights.
PRACTICE: numbers

11 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Here yopu have lots of activities and  ideas. Also forums to get more....

http://www.ultimatecampresource.com/

http://www.thecampwiki.com/index.php?title=ESL_Camp_Games

http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=3786

11 Mar 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

Sorry no ideas for games, I just wanted to but in and say that Squamish is beautiful! I lived in BC for a few years (Vancouver Island) and go back every year! :o)
Greetings from Germany...

11 Mar 2009     

puddyd
Oman

Check out your private message box

11 Mar 2009