Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to motivate my students?    

How to motivate my students?

Baadache
Canada

How to motivate my students?

Hi,

I have ESL classes each of 90 minutes for elementary students. About an hour students started to feel bored. I tried some interactive games, boredom still there. I want to motivate them but how??  Do you have any suggestions for such a situation?

Thank you 

17 Sep 2018      

glutenfree
Poland

Why don �t you try guessing games (Guess Who?, Guess What?, Guess Where?)? They are easy and fun to play.

17 Sep 2018     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Hi,
Try finny exercises then competitive games in groups!

They love it very much! 

17 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

90 minutes is a long time! Once over, I used to have 100 minute lessons and they were killers, awful! After a disastrous inspection, the school saw sense and reduced the lessons to 50 minutes, so much kinder to everyone. It �s OK for really young kids because you can play, but for older kids... OMG! 
I used to  - like you - have interactive games, so I �ve nothing new to suggest. However, this simple thing always worked. 
Alphabet wheel Have a list of topics - food, drink, capitals, countries, transport, places in town, things in the classroom etc. Spin the wheel and they have to come up with an object beginning with that letter. In teams or individual. Also, this ppt is fab and you can edit it, so you can use it over and over 
team game While you are there, check out that user �s other ppts, I owe a lot to this guy (anthoni). 

I also used youtube a lot. Short Mr Bean clips, Bernard the Bear, Simon�s cat... with a task, depending on their ability. 

A great game is Charades, they always love that, Taboo is another good one. 

Or, they can always make leaflets, posters, greetings cards...

Don�t wait until a full hour is up. Split the lesson into two halves, with this kind of fun activity in the middle. And after the activity, give them two minutes �chilling time�, when they can either quietly chat to their neighbour, or just sit quietly to refresh them before the next session. Effectively, you are giving them two shorter lessons, with the fun activity - it�s still learning English! - in the middle. 

I do sympathise! 

18 Sep 2018     

Jitterbug
France

No break for 90 minutes? That �s hard! As Cunliffe suggests, allow some chilling time in the middle of the lesson so they can relax.

I would try some very easy pair works to make them speak English. It will help them build some self esteem and confidence. 
Of course you can �t do that for 90 minutes so you �ll have to split the lesson, but try to find a speaking activity for each grammar or vocabulary topic you teach so they can practice what they �ve just learned. 

Good luck! 

18 Sep 2018     

Baadache
Canada

Wonderful ideas , why not! I would have to think of more games, competitive ones, riddles,......splitting the session is a good idea that I was thinking of the last few days. Thank you a lot.

18 Sep 2018     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Using youtube always helps. 

19 Sep 2018     

silvanasilvaoliveirasantos
Brazil

Hello, dear friend, you could try some games like: Guess who,scattegories, board games (there are a lot of them in ESL Printables) the kids love them! I hope it works!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

20 Sep 2018