Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day

Thank you for choosing me as the winner of the Word of the Day contest, Valentina! I apologize for the long wait; I was on vacation last week. So I am picking an obscure word based on my vacation:

KIVA

Remember, give me a fake definition! Anyone giving me the real definition is automatically disqualified and will force me to come up with another word. I will judge a winner when I either have enough entries to make it interesting, or when the thread leaves the forum, whichever I think better. I look forward to seeing all your "daffynitions!"

1 Oct 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Kiva is the Goddess of Cats.Here she is taking a stroll with some of her felines. However, I can tell you who thinks she is Kiva and that �s my kitty! Kitty Diva = Kiva.

2 Oct 2018     

maryse pey�
France

KIVA has got another meaning, a French one.

It comes from the French army guards who are always saying "Qui Va là ?" (Who is coming ?) when they have to guard the military camp or a secret storage or...

And little by little they are saying "Qui va ..." before realizing they are no longer guarding something.

So a KIVA is a former army guard "addicted" to the partial security formula.

2 Oct 2018     

douglas
United States

Kiva is the term for a crossing of the kiwi and the avocado fruits from which you can make  "kwacamole"

4 Oct 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Douglas - kwakamole! LOL

4 Oct 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I am slightly surprised that our Members, who constantly use Email abbreviations, such as IMHO, BTW, LOL, etc. don �t use the following, much more versatile acronym.
It is used almost as frequently as "KISS" = "Keep It Simple, Student!" 
It is written at the end of an Email which is giving Advice to Someone.

KIVA

Writing a Love-Letter? ... "KIVA" ... "Keep It Very Affectionate!"
Advertising a Book? ... "KIVA"... "Keep It Very Artistic!"
Preparing a Political Speech? ... "KIVA" ... "Keep It Very Amusing!"
Applying for a Job as a Boxer? ... "KIVA" ... "Keep It Very Aggressive!"

The varieties are endless!

Les Douglas

4 Oct 2018