Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mayar daylem
Algeria

Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! 
 My students are intermediate level and they are asked to use qualifiers with adjectives and they are going to learn ""quite""" but I found the problem of the meaning . Does it mean "" completely "" or "fairly"? would you please  tell to me how to expain it to them? 

6 Oct 2018      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

If you say "The concert was quite good." it means fairly, not great but not awful.

6 Oct 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It usually means �fairly �, as dawnmain says, but it can be used to emphasise an adjective, as well. If I said, �You �re joking! That is quite absurd! � that means really absurd, not mildly absurd.... I �m sure you �ll get some more answers. This link is interesting.
However, as they are just intermediate, I would just tell them it means �fairly�.

6 Oct 2018     

mayar daylem
Algeria

Thanks Dear for your help

6 Oct 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I agree with Dawn and Lynne. In British English, �quite� has 2 meanings.

1)                  It means: �To a certain or fairly significant extent or degree�. (Oxford English Dictionary).

Synonyms are:

Moderately; rather; somewhat; reasonably; fairly; relatively; comparatively; to some extent; to some degree.

�It�s quite good! (but I�m sad it�s not BETTER!�)

The Speaker makes a positive comment, but does not wish the positive comment to be TOO BIG.

�It�s quite bad! (but I�m glad it�s not WORSE!�)

The Speaker makes a negative comment, but does not wish the negative comment to be TOO BIG.

Oxford English Dictionary examples: �It�s quite warm outside.� �He�s quite an attractive man.�

2)                  It means: �To the utmost or most absolute extent or degree�. (Oxford English Dictionary).

Synonyms are:

Utterly; absolutely; totally; completely; entirely; wholly; fully; perfectly; exactly; precisely.

Oxford English Dictionary examples: �It�s quite out of the question.� �Are you quite certain about this?� �This is quite a different problem.� �I quite agree.� �Quite frankly, I don�t blame you.�

There are many other phrases using �Quite�, but these would confuse your Intermediate Students.

Even these 2 explanations are �quite difficult� to understand.

As a Teacher, if I gave only one explanation, it would be the first, and I would probably use the adverb �moderately� as a synonym for �quite�.

I hope this helps you.

Les Douglas

6 Oct 2018     

mayar daylem
Algeria

Thank you so much for your help

6 Oct 2018