Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me    

Please help me

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Please help me

Dear eveyone! Please help me with this. What tenses must be used in the two following sentences? 1. In the last decade, we (not have) ___enough schools for disabled children. 2. In the last school year, some parents (prevent) .___their children from interacting with disabled children.
Thanks in advance.
Qui 

27 Oct 2018      

Aisha77
Spain

Hi, Qui:
I tell you under my point of view, however if there is anyone from an English speaking country that may think different, you better listen to that person. Here it goes:
 1. In the last decade, we haven �t had enough schools for disable children.
 2. In the last school year (I �d prefer �During the last... �), some parent have been preventing their children from interacting with disable children. WOW!! (This is really sad!)
Cheers and have a great weekend! 
Aisha 

27 Oct 2018     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Dear Aisha, It is very kind of you to help me. The second sentence is only an example :-). Don �t be so sad :-). Qui

27 Oct 2018     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Dear Aisha, nice weekend :-)

27 Oct 2018     

yanogator
United States

There are two possible interpretations of these sentences. Aisha �s good answers are correct if we are now at the end of the decade or the school year, but still in it. 

If the interpretation is that we are talking about the previous decade or school year, then both sentences are in the completed past, so they would need the Past Simple.

1. In the last decade, we didn �t have enough schools for disabled children. 2. In the last school year, some parents prevented their children from interacting with disabled children.

Bruce 

27 Oct 2018     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Dear Vanogator! Thank you so much for your willingness to help me. Nice weekend. Qui

27 Oct 2018     

PRAVIA
Morocco

Dear Qui, I would prefer to change "in the last decade" to "over the last decade" in this case the use of the present perfect is 100%
correct. 

27 Oct 2018     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Dear Pravia! Thank you so much. Nice weekend. Qui

27 Oct 2018     

nazeg�l
Turkey

Dear Qui, I think, you have to use simple past because they are completed actions.

27 Oct 2018     

NORINET
Algeria

I think the past simple is suitable with both sentences but I lean towards using "used to+stem" with the second sentence.
Regards 

28 Oct 2018