Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Adjectives - comparative and superlative    

Adjectives - comparative and superlative

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Adjectives - comparative and superlative

Hi everybody!

I need help:

Is it funnier or more fun?

This year my students argue that they have learnt the formation as "funnier". However, their Oxford book "Your Turn 8" (page24) the adjective is included in formation of the long ones.  

Thanks in advance 

28 Oct 2018      

[email protected]
Romania

Funny is a short adjective, therefore the comparative form is funnier
Fun is a noun and as a result it does  not have comparative.It can be modified by an adjective such as much (whose comparative is more).
    His jokes are funnier than mine. 
    He had more fun than me at the weekend. 

28 Oct 2018     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Well ....you may be right!

But dicitionaries are usually right: 
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fun

ADJECTIVE

informal 
  • 1Amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable.

‘it was a fun evening’
    ‘being on set with the cast and crew was really fun’
    1. 1.1attributive (of a place or event) providing entertainment or leisure activities for children.
      ‘a school fun day’

28 Oct 2018     

zoemorosini
United States

I agree with Mariplesu. 

First, one must clearly understand the meaning of "fun" (enjoyable) vs. "funny" (makes you laugh).  "Funny" can also mean strange, weird, or peculiar.  Ex.  There was a funny smell coming from the kitchen trash can.  Also:  What �s that funny sound?

Funnier is the comparative form of funny (makes you laugh, only adjective).  Ex. He is a funny guy.  He always makes me laugh.  They are funny when they tell jokes.  It was funny when he slipped and fell on the banana peel.  It wasn �t funny anymore when we found out he broke his ankle in the fall.

More fun (can be a noun or adjective) is the comparative form of fun (enjoyable, entertaining).  We had more fun at the movies than we did at the park.  She is a lot more fun than her brother is.

You can also have a lot of fun (noun), or be a lot of fun (noun), but you CAN �T have a lot of funny.  Someone can be very funny.

He �s a funny person.   Really?  I think she �s funnier (than he is).
That trip in August was fun.  Really?  I think the trip we took in September was more fun (than the one in August). 

My last comment:  be careful of dictionaries.  They never know more than real speakers.

Zoe Morosini
USA 

28 Oct 2018     

karagozian
France

Funnier, busier 2syllable adjectives ending in y - ier.

28 Oct 2018     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Thank you so much!

About your comment Zoe:

I am Portuguese I do not by all means pretend to know more than native speakers. Not that type of person! 

But you have to understand that dictionaries, grammars etc .....all these books purpose is to clarify. explain your language. And to my knowledge they are written by native people. 

Besides it �s not the first time that people post questions here, and sometimes Americans and British have different opinions.

NOT TO MENTION that languages tend to evolve unlike the dead ones. 

A small example: 

VERB

[WITH OBJECT]
  • Search for information about (someone or something) on the Internet using the search engine Google.

‘on Sunday she googled an ex-boyfriend’
    no object ‘I googled for a cheap hotel/flight deal’

28 Oct 2018     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, just to throw this into the debate, I once saw "funner" in a dictionary as a comparative of fun. Apparently, this is American English but I must say, of all the Americans I know, I �m pretty sure none of them would use that form unless they were making some kind of joke. One of the things I like best about English is that you can never really say for sure. Just when you think something is all textbook and the Queen �s E., some exception to the rule sneaks up and clobbers you on the head. 

28 Oct 2018     

zoemorosini
United States

Where I live, we don �t use "funner" except sarcastically--in truth, because it �s considered incorrect.  This just goes to show that simply because something �s published, it isn �t necessarily correct.

28 Oct 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I am glad this question was asked because some learners confuse the words funny and fun. I see worksheets described as a funny worksheet, which means a humorous worksheet. But when I look at the worksheet, it is perhaps a fun activity, but it is not humorous. So, it should say it is a fun worksheet in the description.

29 Oct 2018     

valodra
France

Very interesting Indeed ! + I just love the comments by native speakers : fun or funny - doubt  ( You do not have a doubt in English, do you ? ;-)))  - etc ! I do not very often answer, but I always read such messages :-)
Thank you all,
Val 

29 Oct 2018     

Aisha77
Spain

Thanks so so much Zoe Morosini
Now I can tell I really know the difference, and I didn �t know anything before....
Awesome explanation!!!
Have a great day and week!
Izaskun O.M. 

29 Oct 2018     

1    2    Next >