Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary of school rooms    

Vocabulary of school rooms

inmaaa86
Spain

Vocabulary of school rooms

Hi!  I have got a doubt about the vocabulary of the different rooms at school.We use British English (staff room is correct? I think it is teachers � room, principal �s offfice is correct?? viceprincipal`s office is correct? caretaker`s office is correct? I am suspicious some terms are incorrect.  I would be very gratefull if you give me a list with the correct names. Thanks so much for this wonderful site.

28 Nov 2018      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi inmaa86. Staff room is correct.  Principal �s office, or head teacher �s office, these are correct. On top of that, heads of department, or curriculum team leaders, assistant principals, or assistant head teachers, can all be expected to have an office. Their departments will also have a department office or room as staffrooms decline. New builds rarely provide a staffroom, they prefer teachers to stay within their department offices. 
Yes, isn �t this a great site? 

28 Nov 2018     

aee.aee
Slovenia

Cunliffe, yes, it is. 
What about the expression teachers � lounge? Is it the same as staff room?

29 Nov 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi aee.aee, I don �t know about teachers � lounge. It sounds like a website to me! 

29 Nov 2018     

valodra
France

Teachers � lounge ??? Right. I �m Moving straight away to YOUR country ! 
If I may, how would you call a "CPE" in English .? Someone in charge of the pupils, the free periods, the school trips….) Not a teacher, but the one who takes care of the pupils when not in classes ? - but this job might not exist in your schools ? In France, when our pupils do not have classes, they have free periods where they can go to the Library, prepare their tests , do their Homework, etc... The one person in charge is called a …? 
Val 

29 Nov 2018     

mirayalcitepe
Turkey

It could be observer.

29 Nov 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

in some American schools the children are supervised by a lunchroom monitor, or a recess monitor. In other schools, the teachers supervise the students even when not in the classroom.

29 Nov 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There aren �t such staff in British schools, to my knowledge, as pupils don �t have free periods until they are in the sixth form. What we do have, in many schools, are Heads of Year or Student Managers.  These posts are pastoral. Sometimes, a teacher takes on the role and has free lessons allocated. However, more and more, these are full-time posts, and you don �t need qualified teacher status. Some schools still employ Mentors, but cuts in the education budget are seeing those off, sadly. 

30 Nov 2018     

valodra
France

Thank you :-))

30 Nov 2018