Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How can I help my pupils?    

How can I help my pupils?

noura80
Algeria

How can I help my pupils?

Hello ,feiends!
   I �m teaching 4th year students this year and they will sit for a national exam next June to go to secondry school. I �m new at this middle school and pupils are really slow ;they don �t  have the simple basics in English.I have a programme to finish on time.
Have you got any ideas how to help them develop their skills especially in writing?
Thank in advance. 

1 Dec 2018      

cpimentel6
Brazil

considering they are slow pupils, in writing you may find interesting to build a guided composition.

Write on the board some very basic questions such as:

What �s your name?
How old are you? 
Where are you from?
Where do you live today?
 .... etc

Help them answer each question in their notebooks without copying the questions.
Then you may want to build another composition, but this time using a friend �s name so as they will practice the third person of singular. 

In conversation, you may do the same thing after practicing the writing. However, most teachers prefer to use oral skills first, then havethem write what they have just practiced in conversation. 

1 Dec 2018     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a lot.I �ll try this methods with them I hope it Will work

2 Dec 2018     

valodra
France

Hello!
I - too - prefer the oral skills...But as the writing skills are concerned ...Why not have them write a kind of "Yearbook" ? It �s an activity where pupils write about themselves ( their Identity ; their likes & dislikes ; their hobbies ; the places they �d like to visit; etc ! ) I have my Special needs do such a work ( and they have to find photos on the Net to illustrate their personal page…) They usually like it a lot, and write great personal pages !  
I always make a book/Leaflet with all their pages , and give them a copy. They love it, and such an activity makes them improve their written English…
Hope this helps,
Val 

2 Dec 2018     

karagozian
France

What a fantastic idea Val !!!!!

3 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://www.duolingo.com/course/en/ar/Learn-English-Online might help.Also the magic flash cards which were mentioned by Zdenda look helpful for filling in gaps in their knowledge.

3 Dec 2018