Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Reflexive pronouns again))))    

Reflexive pronouns again))))

ladzoya
Belarus

Reflexive pronouns again))))

Hello every one!
I need your help again with reflexive pronouns. 
I am in confusion. In most English resourses such verbs as FEEL relax wash etc. we do NOT use reflexive pronouns.
But in one English book I have found the information that we use reflexive pronouns after the verbs be look seem FEEL.
May be somebody knows when FEEL  is possible? 

6 Dec 2018      

redcamarocruiser
United States

He feels himself falling asleep. He feels himself starting to get drunk, but he keeps on drinking.� He feels himself getting dizzy.�A man is only as old as he feels himself to be. They felt themselves getting bored. At work a man does not feel himself at home. He felt himself inferior. He felt himself coming down with a cold. He felt himself compelled to weigh in.

6 Dec 2018     

ladzoya
Belarus

Thanks for examples! If there any rule when to use feel with reflexive pronouns?

6 Dec 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I looked for a grammar rule, but so far didn �t find one. He noticed himself getting sleepy means the same thing as he felt himself getting sleepy. So, maybe we can substitute feels for notices. I hope someone more knowledgeable in grammar will weigh in. I did find this rule: When the subject and the object refer to the same person or thing we use reflexive pronouns. Exit: Thanks FrauSue for seducing the rules (below)!

6 Dec 2018     

ladzoya
Belarus

Thank you very much!!!

6 Dec 2018     

FrauSue
France

Based on your examples, I think we could say that the rule is when a second verb is involved.

Subject + feel + adjective --> He felt sleepy.
Subject + feel + reflexive pronoun + verbING ... --> He felt himself getting sleepy. (Or: He felt that he was getting sleepy.)

8 Dec 2018