Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Mother-in-law problem :)    

Mother-in-law problem :)

ninon100
Russian Federation

Mother-in-law problem :)

Dear colleagues,
what do you call a person who used to be your mother-in-law? Now your father-in-law is divorced, and has a new wife. Is she my new mother-in-law? Does that mean I have 2 mothers-in-law? Or one of them is an ex-mother-in-law (but she�s still my husband�s mother).
It�s a question asked by a student of mine, so I need to come up with an answer asap! Thanks everyone :) 

22 Jan 2019      

douglas
United States

1) I would say my step mother-in-law
2) Your husband�s mother is always your mother-in-law.
3) If the ex-wife is not your husband�s mother, I would say my ex-mother-in-law.

A good general rule is to just add "-in-law" to whatever your husband calls her.

23 Jan 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Hi,

Yes, I was taught that stepmother was the proper term.

Douglas is more precise than I. Thanks Douglas for such a help.

23 Jan 2019     

ninon100
Russian Federation

If my old mother-in-law, who is divorced now, is my step mother-in-law, who is my new mother-in-law to me, if she is not my husband�s mother?

23 Jan 2019     

empish08
Germany

Your *husband�s* mother will always be your mother-in-law, as the title is connected to her relatedness to your husband. If your father-in-law (your husband�s father) remarries, that new wife is now your stepmother-in-law because she is your husband�s stepmother.

ETA: I edited my post slightly because I realised I had written "father�s" rather than "husband�s", which probably only confused matters. Sorry!

23 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I�m completely lost off with this... going for a lie-down.Confused

23 Jan 2019     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Plural is mother-in-laws / ex mother-in-laws 

If you divorce someone and then marry their sibling your ex mother-in-law is also your mother-in-law

23 Jan 2019     

douglas
United States

Are you sure the plural isn�t  "mothers-in-law"?

23 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It was mothers-in-law when I was at school:) And I think Douglas pretty much nailed the answer.

23 Jan 2019     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Let�s sum up:

a mother-in-law is your husband�s mother (if you�re still married to him)
a step mother-in-law is your father-in-law�s new wife and not your husband�s mother
an ex-mother-in-law is your husband�s mother if you are divorced (and it�s your ex-husband�s mother)

Is that right? 

23 Jan 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

YES!! You�ve got it at the end!! And empish08 has nailed it! 
Cheers
Aisha ;) 

23 Jan 2019     

1    2    Next >