Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary query    

vocabulary query

monder78
Poland

vocabulary query

Hello   dear fellow teachers ! 
What�s the meaning  of   blast in the sentence  : 
 Supermarkets usually blast their meat with carbon monoxide—the same deadly gas released in car exhaust—to make it red. 
Does it  mean they apply  carbon dioxide to achieve the effect of making meat  redder ? Thx in advance. 

31 Jan 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I have never heard of this practice, but it sounds possible because apparently ... I�ve googled it and they do! Yuck! Yes, CO3 does make meat look redder; it affects the blood in some way, a scientist might know better. So, reading that sentence, I visualise them with pipes or something and strong gusts of gas coming out fast, hitting the meat. That is what �blasting� is. 

31 Jan 2019     

yanogator
United States

Yes, the phrase "strong gusts" that Lynne used is a good definition of "blast".

Bruce 

31 Jan 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Hi ya!
Unfortunately, yes they do so. But MONOxide and DIOxide are not the same. They use monoxide not dioxide. They are different reactions so what they use in the meat is the same deadly gas you can find in a car. Did you find that statement in any book?  They talk about a practice that has being happening through the world for decades as in the supermarket they have such an amount of meat that to give it a way out they use this system. A pity, but true.
Have a great weekend ;)
Aisha 

31 Jan 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

We should all be vegetarian, not much doubt about that:)

31 Jan 2019     

monder78
Poland

The sentence in question was found in an article about malpractices used by companies to boost  their sales. Thank you for   your   replies. I presume the  word was used to  make  the readers envisage   the  horrific practice. Cheers.

2 Feb 2019