Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > S.O.S.    

S.O.S.

karagozian
France

S.O.S.

I�m stuck here.  Not quite sure where to insert the frequency adverb and why?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

"Save natural resources. Take your bottles and cans to bottle banks. (regularly)"

11 Feb 2019      

ChiliPie
United States

Beginning or end is possible. There�s a rule to that.

11 Feb 2019     

L. habach
Morocco

I think you can insert it after the word �cans�

11 Feb 2019     

dackala
Serbia

Hi Monique!

I�d put it at the end of the sentence. Hope it helps!

11 Feb 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/regularly also places the adverb at the end of its sentences, as  dackala suggests.

Does anyone else find the word regularly odd sounding in this sentence?

Save natural resources. Take your bottles and cans to bottle banks on a regular basis (regularly). 

Save natural resources. Take your bottles and cans regularly to bottle banks.  I may be overthinking this, but it sounds odd to me in this position, although understood.

http://www.manythings.org/sentences/words/regularly/1.html has some example sentences. None of the sentences began with regularly, and I also would not begin the sentence here with regularly, but I don�t know the rule.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv202.shtml explains the rule for positioning adverbs, but did not mention �regularly� . However it says the "end position [is for]

Adverbs of time and definite frequency (e.g. last week, every year)" and I would put regularly in that category, too.

Edit: I have been overthinking this. Today, Regularly in first position as suggested by Douglas sounds alright to me , as well.

11 Feb 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Always take....� 
�Regularly� sounds a bit strange as an instruction here. �On a regular basis� as redcam suggests, is good. 
....I sense another wonderful ws on its way! if it�s on this point, put �regularly� at the beginning. 

11 Feb 2019     

douglas
United States

I agree, "regularly" does sound a little strange; but if you do use it, I suggest putting it at the beginning.

"Save natural resources. Regularly take your bottles and cans to bottle banks."

12 Feb 2019     

karagozian
France

Thank you dear friends for your prompt and helpful reactions.

12 Feb 2019     

karagozian
France

Usually, normally, often, frequently, sometimes, occasionally can be placed at the beginning of a sentence:

Occasionally, I like to cook.

found this somewhere, so guess that regularly comes in the same category. I�ll put at the beginning of the sentence. Probably next Monday dear Lynne.
Thank you to all of you.

13 Feb 2019