Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Plz, could someone explain this sentence?    

Plz, could someone explain this sentence?

Aisha77
Spain

Plz, could someone explain this sentence?

School uniforms forbid them from traversing their sense of panache as well as would curb them from displaying their latest collection within there milieu
Is it right? or should it be within their milieu??  If it�s right I don�t understand the meaning...
Thanks in advance! 

3 Mar 2019      

MoodyMoody
United States

"Their milieu" is correct. Many native speakers also use the wrong homophone. 

I personally would also change "traversing" to "expressing" and "would curb" to "curbing." Since traversing is going across, it doesn�t really make sense here. I�d change to curbing to maintain a parallel structure for stylistic purposes.

I also assume that "them" and "their" have students as an antecedent in an earlier sentence. Otherwise, your student needs to specify students somewhere.

I hope this is helpful to you! 

3 Mar 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Thanks a million for your prompt answer Moody, I really apreciate it. Yes, you are right, The sentence is connected to another where it makes it clear that is talking about the students. I understood it perfectly, and I see that sometimes there are mistakes made by native too, and in this case I usually break my brain thinking where the trick is, and actually there wasn�t any, hehhe!!
Thanks loads, seriously!!  
Aisha  
EDIT: Btw, I agree with you that the verb tense "would curb" would be better "curbing" to keep the same extructure, as you well said. It is the same in Spanish. ;)))

4 Mar 2019