Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching English to young children (1+)    

Teaching English to young children (1+)

OhyouBrittneySensei
Japan

Teaching English to young children (1+)

Are any of you struggling with teaching very young children? What are some of your biggest challenges? What are your triumphs? I�m going into my 5th year of teaching very young children (starting from 1 year old), I know we don�t have a vast community to discuss ideas, trade activities, vent, etc. as most of the materials are aimed at older children, but we have a growing demand for preschool to kindergarten English lessons. If anyone teaches even one class, let�s discuss teaching toddlers to kindergarten in this thread. Let�s start with introducing ourselves: Name: Where do you teach: How long have you taught English: What are/were your challenges?: What do you think you�ve accomplished?: Blog/Website for your materials: My name is Brittney. I am currently living in Japan, but I started in South Korea and lived there for three years. I�m going into my 5th year of teaching English to "kindergarten" students (children from ages 1-6). My biggest challenge in South Korea was getting the students to speak English because Korea focuses on books and they are more about quantity than quality, but after I moved to Japan, I was able to make drastic improvements to my English lessons. My two/three-year-olds this year can tell you in full sentences or nearly complete sentences: their names, favorite color, how they get to school, their age, count to the twenties, say their days of the week, months of the year, weather, and seasons. I�m SO proud of them. My three/four-year-olds know all of their alphabets and sounds, they can write their alphabets, read CVC words, and recognize almost 40 sight words. I had doubts about that, and I struggled in the first few months, but by the end of the school year, they blew me away. My blog: ohayoubrittneysensei.blogspot.com

31 Mar 2019      

douglas
United States

My 2 year old grandson is growing up bilingual (German-English9, but mostly I am the only one that speaks English to him. So what I do is say: "It�s yellow. Mama says gelb and Grandpa says yellow." or I�ll say something in English and repeat some parts I think he may not understand in German, then say it in English again.
He also watches television in English quite often.

1 Apr 2019     

Paopolpetta
Italy

Hi, I�m Paola and I live in Italy. I�ve been teaching English at primary school for 20 years and I have some experience with kindergarden (3-6) English lessons, too. I�ve got a son who is nearly 5 and I am trying to give him a sort of regular exposure to English and Spanish since he was born. I�ve always read him English books (Eric Carle is one of my favourite authors). We also practise sounds and pronunciation with Nursery rhymes, chants and songs. He can understand much more words and sentences than he can say, but he is able to switch from a language to another. He loves rhymes and Total Physical Response games and activities, too.

1 Apr 2019