Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching clothes    

Teaching clothes

vanyiimo
Romania

Teaching clothes

Hello everybody!
Help me, please, with some ideas about clothes. I need help, any material for practising clothes vocabulary, for recycling clothes vocabulary. I teach 10-year-old children. Many thanks.

3 Apr 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I take it you�ve looked at all the worksheets and ppts on here. You could collect magazines and have them cut out the clothes and make a fashion show... 
Some activities on here.. 

3 Apr 2019     

vanyiimo
Romania

Thanks for your help.

3 Apr 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I like the Memory Train game from this site: https://icebreakerideas.com/memory-games/ . You might want to introduce or revise the vocabulary with the Missing item game (using pieces of clothing). It is found on the same page..

Since you already have the clothing on hand, you can play this dress-up relay game as well https://lifestyle.howstuffworks.com/crafts/seasonal/indoor-games-for-kids1.htm .  Have the students say the name of each piece of clothing as they put it on.

If it is too much activity, you can eliminate the running and instead have the students dress themselves in place while sitting in a circle on the floor or in chairs. 

For this dressing game, you must make a dice with a picture of a piece of clothing on each side. When the students roll the dice, they must put on the piece of clothing showing on the dice. The first one dressed completely wins. The teacher or students should name the piece of clothing.

Or you can prepare a board game where the students dress a bear or other figure. You can make cards with a bear or other figure on them. When they roll a shirt using the dice you made with clothing pictures on each side mentioned above), they put a paper shirt (which you have cut out from a magazine or one you have drawn in advance for the game) on their bear or doll figure. When they roll pants on the di, they put pants on their paper doll. 

You can laminate the clothing pieces and cards with the figures for reuse.
This link has a bear you can download
 https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Weather-Dress-Up-Bear-35256 , and by searching in Google Images for dress a bear game, you will find other examples 
like the ones below.     
http://exchange.smarttech.com/details.html?id=86a9d00d-189a-43c2-9cac-ad674083cdbe  claims to have a digital version for download, but I did not try it.   

3 Apr 2019     

FrauSue
France

I like using pictures from magazines - they can be adverts from clothes stores, fashion magazines, normal magazines or junk mail leaflets.
Cut out lots and lots of pictures. Here are some ideas of activities you can do.
1) Writing descriptions: Give each pupil or pair a picture. They must keep it secret. They write a detailed description (This person is wearing ...). Then you put all the pictures in the centre of the room or up on the board. Each description is read out and the other pupils try to be the quickest to find the corresponding picture.
2)  20 questions: All the pictures are visible to everyone. One person chooses a picture but doesn�t say which it is. The other pupils must ask yes/no questions to determine which picture it is. (Is the person wearing a hat? Is the person�s coat red?) The winner is the person who needs to be asked the most questions before their picture is guessed.
3) �Find someone who�: Give a phrase (He is wearing a black coat) and pupils must point to any corresponding picture. 
4) �Find the mistake�: Each pupil takes a picture. They write a description of the picture but include one (or two or three) mistakes. Tell the pupils beforehand how many mistakes to include. The pupils then read their descriptions to a partner or to the whole class, and the listener tries to note the mistakes and correct them.

All of these activities work best if you model them first with the whole class! 

It is quite a lot of work to cut out the pictures, but they are invaluable. I have a folder of pictures that I collected nearly 15 years ago when I was a language assistant, and I still use them!

4 Apr 2019     

vanyiimo
Romania

Many many thanks for your great advice!

8 Apr 2019     

nikgrady
United States

Thanks for your help. 

20 May 2020