Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ix-nay on the ophy-tray MEANING    

Ix-nay on the ophy-tray MEANING

mari_18cf
Brazil

Ix-nay on the ophy-tray MEANING

Ix-nay on the ophy-tray ??

What does it mean?

I saw it on Doug�s cartoon. Here is the link for it: (time marker 00:13:50)

Thanks in advance 

11 Apr 2019      

aperkins4
Japan

Great question!

This sentence is in a popular "code" system commonly called "Pig Latin". The trick is to take the beginning sound and move it to the end with "-ay" added.

Ix-nay is the English word "nix". It usually mean "reject", but in this phrase it more accurately means "remove" or "make taboo". Ophy-tray is the English word "trophy". Therefore, the full English sentence is, "Nix on the trophy." In context, it means that they shouldn`t mention the trophy. They don`t want to upset anyone nor cause any trouble.

While "ix-nay" is a very common word in Pig Latin, "nix" is very uncommon in normal English (at least in America).

In case you are still curious about how Pig Latin works, here is your post written only in Pig Latin:

"At-whay oes-day it-ay ean-may?

I-ay aw-say it-ay on-ay oug`s-day artoon-cay. Ere-hay is-ay e-thay ink-lay or-fay it-ay: (ime-tay arker-may 00:13:50)

Anks-thay in-ay advance-ay."

I hope this helps! 

11 Apr 2019     

aperkins4
Japan

I read online that Brazil has a similar language code game called "Língua do Pê". If you know of Língua do Pê, the idea behind Pig Latin is very similar! People who know the game use it to confuse listeners who may not know of it.

12 Apr 2019     

valodra
France

Ooops ! I wanted to insert something�.and deleted my previous message  ! Sorry for being so silly !
Val 
edit : those are the links I posted ;-)

14 Apr 2019     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Great explanation. Thanks a bunch!

15 Apr 2019