Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Query about the rules    

Query about the rules

Aisha77
Spain

Thanks so much Lynne. What I have seen is that everything depends on the subjectivity, not just about the rules. When I just started here, I downloaded a few worksheets form other members, and I came across with a worksheet whose text was copied and pasted ( I do it also). The problem was that the web page had written in the bottom the following (I will just copy it and paste it here as it is there): Copyright © 2008 by Tracey Eyster. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
So, what I did was reporting it for that same reason, and I found the ws was back to the owner, which is fantastic, as has many fabulous ws, but that one I believe should not be there. 

Here the link to the webpage: 

and here the link to the worksheet:
I didn�t understand why it was available again, but I understand it�s just due to the subjectivity of the moderators.
Or was I wrong?
Aisha ;) 

2 May 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thank you, Sue for your helpful comment: �You would not be using the copyrighted material for purposes of �analysis or commentary� (which I think is the main purpose of the fair use rule).�

Edit: Thank you also Douglas for the helpful information (below) about the site�s decision. 

@ Aisha The author of the worksheet informed us that the material was used with permission. That means that she contacted the author of the article and received permission to use it here. That is according to the rule

"You can use texts from other websites or books in your worksheets if you add your own exercises or activities (For example, reading comprehension questions, etc)."

Since she got permission from the original author, there is no problem.The rule was followed and the publication of the worksheet was not due to subjectivity of a moderator.

2 May 2019     

douglas
United States

If I remember right, back when we added not using excerpts etc. from other esl sites or text books as a rule we discussed copyright, but we also had had a couple complaints from other esl sites so we decided it would be best to make a simple to understand, more-generic rule to prevent any legal trouble for Victor and to prevent any bad-blood with other esl sites.

So the fair use may apply, but we decided to do it this way to keep it simple to understand and enforce.

Douglas

2 May 2019     

aftab57
United Kingdom

So finally what is the decision if there is any about this issue?

2 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Aftab, I think that is as clear as it is going to get.Smile

3 May 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Sorry, Mary, I never thought she got the permission, I also wrote to the author to tell her but as I didn�t get any answer I thought it happened probably the same... thanks a lot!
Search templates (CTRL+Space)

3 May 2019     

karagozian
France

As clear as crystal !!

3 May 2019     

< Previous   1    2