Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Arrive    

Arrive

micadinardo
Spain

Arrive

Hi teachers! I know we say arrive at for places and arrive in for countries and cities, but is it possible to say arrive into?

6 May 2019      

almaz
United Kingdom

It�s generally considered to be obsolete nowadays, although I believe the notion of a baby arriving "into" the world was still common in the 18th century (just an FYI in case you�re thinking of writing a historical novel ).

7 May 2019     

FrauSue
France

It�s used a lot in the context of aeroplanes landing: We will arrive into Frankfurt at 15:30 local time.

7 May 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yeah, I�m sure I�ve heard that once or twice too. Possibly insisted on by airlines who like to think of their planes as �babies� .

EDIT: And a friend just told me she heard it several times on trains down in deepest Englandshire.

7 May 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mainly, we arrive at, a you say, but we pull into, where trains are concerned. 
�Pulling into Glasgow Central in a few minutes.� Or We�ll be pulling into...and by the way, that construction is becoming more and more prevalent, rather then the simple future. 

10 May 2019