Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Winner of the WORD Daffynition contest! 5/29/2019    

Winner of the WORD Daffynition contest! 5/29/2019

redcamarocruiser
United States

Winner of the WORD Daffynition contest! 5/29/2019

There were many wonderful entries, so it was very hard to choose among them.  I chose the word ultracrepidarian because it was both a new word to me and did not appear to have commonly known cognates in several languages.

Ultracrepidarian means 

"someone who has no special knowledge of a subject but who expresses an opinion about it:

I loved martinasvabova�s daffynition, 
"This must be VERY SLOWLY CREEPING PEDESTRIAN."

So, congratulations Martina! You are our new winner!  

Over to you!!! Wink

7 Jun 2019      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Thank you for chosing me. I don� t follow this contest very often, so I hope the word LACKADAISICAL hasn�t been used yet. Well, here goes.

8 Jun 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

LACKADAISICAL 

I am surprised that Martina has chosen a word which is very commonly used in my region.

There are lots of words in English which are similarly constructed.

The suffix �less� means �to be without� ... �penniless� = �without a penny�; �thoughtless� = �without a thought; �friendless� = �without a friend; etc.

The prefiix �lack� is often used. �To LACK� also means �to be without� ... "I lack (I am without) sufficient money to buy books to study!"

I am sure that you will immediately see that a gardener who is LACKADAISICAL has a garden that is without DAISIES ... Simple!

Les Douglas

8 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I think you are on to something, Les. However in my region, we love musicals and one of the most famous stars is Daisy Duck! So, a musical that lacks the charming and popular Daisy Duck is simply lackadaisical!

8 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Nothing to do with daisies, darlings! It�s an adjective for a shy, self-effacing person, who really has plenty to say that is worthy, so the opposite of ultracrepidarian, by the way!
lack a dais -ical. A dais is  a lectern or podium, even a throne. Our lackadaisical academic has no need of one; their words speak for themselves. 

10 Jun 2019     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

REDCAMAROCRUISER
I like your definition . So now it�s your turn again.  Smile

17 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thank you, Martina! I will find and post a word soon!

17 Jun 2019