Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Daffynition Contest - July 1st    

Daffynition Contest - July 1st

spinney
United Kingdom

Daffynition Contest - July 1st

Thank you very much, Mary, for the honour which you have bestowed upon me. 
Right, this week I thought I would go with an idiomatic expression. So, here it is:

To go scrumping

I�ll give the first example. This is an activity from the childhood of many British kids that live in the countryside. It is to chase and jump onto the back of tractors when they are driving down country lanes.
Example: Tommy�s mum told him off, and put him to bed with no tea () because he went scrumping with his friends.  

30 Jun 2019      

maryse pey�
France

Okay !

There are people who go to bed, others who go to the beach .... and there are finally the ones who are going to scrump !

It is a very difficult task as it is a journalistic occupation.

These people are focused on the most possible detailed analysis about the scruples of the US President Trump about eating only the crumbs of scones at the unique meal of a US president !

30 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Maryse seems to have hit the nail on the head! However, there is a second meaning for scrumping. It is short for screaming and interrupting. While a natural mode of communicating for toddlers, most adults, excluding lawyers, are able to speak calmly and wait their turn to speak. For lawyers, scrumping can be an effective tool in a deposition or cross examination.

1 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Scrumping can also mean how one walks. When you combine scooting with adding in a little jump, that is scrumping. I scrump when I�ve injured my ankle. People also go scrumping competitively at picnics among similar activities such as relay races.

1 Jul 2019     

MoodyMoody
United States

Maryse, Trump lacks the couth to appreciate scones, more�s the pity. He also has no idea what the word "scruples" means, since he lacks them entirely. It is sweet of you to pretend otherwise, though.

The term scrumping is actually from rugby, as a variation of scrum, the formation used to restart play. A team goes scrumping when it overpowers the other team. 

1 Jul 2019     

karagozian
France

Does That mean that Trump is scrumping the entire planet ? I�m afraid you are right.

3 Jul 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s a very adolescent activity. A scrump is another term for a man bun. Scrumpers are teens who like to go round scrumping, which is trying to undo the man bun or scrump. They run up behind the scrump wearer, grab the scrump and give it a good pull. You are a successful scrumper, you have successfully scrumped, when the bun comes out and the hair flows freely. 

4 Jul 2019     

karagozian
France

Cannot stop laughing ! Oh dear !

4 Jul 2019     

teresasimoes
Portugal

They went scrumping for an apple pie. Thanksgiving forgave them. 

4 Jul 2019     

douglas
United States

A scrum ping is a rugby term--imagine being in a scrum and one of the other players "pings" you in a very uncomfortable place, your eyes automatically "ping" open just before you fall to the ground (or just go limp in the scrum) in pain.  You were scrum pinged!

To go scrumping is to join the scrum with the intention of "pinging" someone there.

OBTW: I am proud of myself, I kept it all non-political. Smile

5 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Scrumping is a facial expression that a person makes in order to apply eye liner and lipstick. The lips are held in a pout and the nose is scrunched. Be careful not to stay in this position too long or your face can freeze that way permanently. 🎭

5 Jul 2019     

1    2    Next >