Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Daffynition Contest July 9, 2019    

Daffynition Contest July 9, 2019

douglas
United States

Daffynition Contest July 9, 2019

Hi All,

Thanks to Dale for choosing my daffynition  of scrumping as the winner (I�m wondering if the definition didn�t "ping" a small nerve)

Anyway, the next word for you to dissect and rebuild  is:

---  DESUETUDE  ---

I look forward to seeing what you come up with--have some fun.

Douglas

9 Jul 2019      

maryse pey�
France

That is a very funny word for the following daffynition :

In French "DEs SUpposés ETUDEs dont nous ne saurions vérifier les progrès"
In Englsih "Some supposed studies whose reality and results cannot be checked". In other words "something completely untrue", "fake affirmation"

Hugs to you Douglas.

Maryse.

9 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Maryse; it is a great word choice, Douglas.

Desu = variant spelling of fr. dessous
Etude = alternate spelling of fr étude 

DESUETUDE means �understudy�. 

9 Jul 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Ah, this is easy. Suet is a kind of fat that used to be very popular in British cooking. When I was a child, if people were on a diet it was said that they were in a state of desuetude, in that they had forsworn suet and other, fatty foods.  

9 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

To sue someone is to take them to court filing a lawsuit. A tude is short for attitude. De is to undo or be against, such as detoxing gets rid of or undoes toxins . Desuetude is the attitude of discouraging, eliminating, or undoing lawsuits. Also written desue-tude.

10 Jul 2019     

karagozian
France

No, no guys, no way ! I�ve got it here.

Everybody has heard about those huge ugly ferries carriying tourists to the most beautiful places of our blue planet. These are unfortunately spewing out pollution equivalent to hundreds of buses and trucks everyday. They are all the more polluting as they all have a sweat ude. This is actually a gymnastics area where all sorts of sports are played and performed, a gym area.
UDE stands for Upper Deck Entertainment.
So THE SWEAT UDE is the area where all those crazy tourists sweat while doing all their stupid exercises to remain fit and healthy.

11 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

�DESUETUDE is an etude composed in honor of Adalbert Desu.

etude - a short [musical] composition for a solo instrument; intended as an exercise or to demonstrate technical virtuosity.
�
What does Desu mean in English?
Desu or DESU may refer to: Desu (Japanese: です), a Japanese copula used to grammatically link a subject and predicate, often translated into English using a form of the verb "to be". Adalbert Deșu (B�la Dezső, 1909�1937), a Romanian football striker. Delaware State University, sometimes abbreviated as DESU.�
�
from www.thefreedictionary.com/etude and Wikipedia respectively

12 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Expressing an attitude which historically would have been identified as originating in the Sioux (culture now politically incorrect). Her natural maternal instincts showed a desuetude.

14 Jul 2019     

FrauSue
France

I�m really upset that you�ve chosen this word. I fundamentally believe that it�s discriminatory.

Desuetude is a state of absence of Sue. "I�ll only come to that party if you can guarantee its desuetude, man."

I personally prefer its antonym, ensuetude. "Any classroom is better in a state of ensuetude." 

14 Jul 2019     

douglas
United States

Great inputs all of you! But, Maryse had me from the beginning.

Congrats Maryse!

17 Jul 2019