Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Needing advice please    

Needing advice please

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Needing advice please

Hi all,

I�ve been asked to go into a factory that mainly processes vegetables (frozen) and teach ESOL.  My learners will be at very mixed levels and most likely be exhausted as they do 12 hour shifts and it�s physically hard and fast work. If anyone can point me in the right direction as regards where to start, where to find resources, etc. etc, I would be so very grateful. Thanks in advance form the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!

8 Sep 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hello Terri, nice to see you! Oh, that�s a tall order, but a lovely challenge... There are lots of materials for adults on this site

Lynne  
Edit: This picture might make a good starter activity. The picture is on page 2. 

8 Sep 2019     

douglas
United States

I�ve been teaching in a safety valve factory for over ten years now. Something I learned quickly was they wanted the technical vocabulary for their jobs. There isn�t much on safety valves in ESL, so my greatest asset was the company�s catalogs, applicable regulations and standards (e.g. ASME code), and websites from the industry/competitors.

Also:
1) My students mostly want conversational English-most don�t do much writing, but lots of telephone work and/or direct conversation with customers/inspectors/visitors.
2) They really appreciate tips on how to understand accents they encounter (e.g. India, China).
3) I often get asked about proper format and wording when writing email.

For conversation, I spent a lot of time having them explain their jobs in detail and describing the product, how it works, and the applicable machines/processes they use. This was a great learning experience for both sides.  After about five years of strictly teaching English and doing translations, I started making product training videos for our sales and maintenance people as well--85% based on the knowledge I gained from my ESL students.

Talk to them  and find out where they use their English and what they specifically want to learn. but be ready to give some examples (e.g. tech terms, conversational, writing workcards and tech orders...).

Good Luck, sounds like fun
Douglas

9 Sep 2019     

FrauSue
France

Lynne - thank you for that excellent link!

9 Sep 2019     

karagozian
France

I�ve been teaching in agricultural schools. So, I have plenty of wss related to horticulture, environment, farming etc....

Wish you the best Terry down there at the other side of the world.

Monique

9 Sep 2019     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Terri

Maybe these links will also be useful to provide guidance and resources?

ESL for factory workers - workplace safety    

Cheers

Jayho 

9 Sep 2019     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Thank you so very much Jayho, Lynne, Douglas and Monique.  I will be checking out all the links etc when I have time - I always knew that I could count on support and tremendous advice from the awesome members of this site! An enormous thanks again!!!!

9 Sep 2019     

aee.aee
Slovenia

Dear Terri, 

keep them occupied and active. 
I use prompt cards, games and different activities which keep them not only mentally but also physically active. 

At the beginning of the lesson (icebreaker) or at the end of the lesson (revision) you can use quizlet or kahoot online exercises. 
These exercises work with children, teenagers and adults. 

Good luck. 

10 Sep 2019     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Hi aee.aee,

Thank you for your valuable advice. I really appreciate all the help I can get. 

10 Sep 2019