Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Whip Round    

Whip Round

douglas
United States

Whip Round

Hi All,

Just an interesting tidbit I stumbled upon while browsing the BBC News site this morning:

I found a term I had never heard before: Whip Round

For BE speakers, you probably all know the term, for AE speakers, we use a completely different term: passing the hat

Some info on it�s origin:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/whip-round.html

( I guess this would have been a great WOD entry, but I would probably forget it by the time I ever had the chance to use it.)

Have a great weekend,
Douglas

27 Sep 2019      

maryse pey�
France

Ah Ah ! Here�s our superhero Douglas ! Interesting things to be dealt with so !

And after the Whip Round let�s consider the Square Dance ! And what about the Triangle of the Bermuda ?

Sorry, I couldn�t help associating "geometrical" ideas.

As you said on another post this site is wonderful and makes us reflect and discover new things ! That�s what I call a very good day, indeed !

Thanks Douglas and, please, stay yourself ! You are a boss !

Hugs.

Maryse. ;) ;) ;)

27 Sep 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you, Douglas! I was thinking of doing another worksheet on idioms to do with money. I�m pretty sure I didn�t use this one last time, and I definitely did not know the origin. Of course, there is another expression which both sides of the Atlantic can use with confidence, "to start a kitty." All kinds of humourous possibilities with a word like that. 

27 Sep 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

When I saw that heading, I wondered who the whip round was for! I usually put a fiver in the kitty on such occasions. 

27 Sep 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

You Americans speak closer to Spanish, I can tell by the idioms and the constructions and the dialect, probably due to the influence of the Latin community... 
:)

27 Sep 2019     

Engteachar
Argentina

In Argentina we use a phrase "hacer una vaquita", which translated into English would be "make a little cow"... hahahaha... interesting!!

29 Sep 2019