Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Last Call--WOD week 40, 2019    

Last Call--WOD week 40, 2019

douglas
United States

Last Call--WOD week 40, 2019

Hi all,

Here�´s s one last call for a daffynition for 

CATERCORNER

There´s been a few pretty funny ones so far: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=55859
--I´ll be picking a winner tomorrow.

Cheers,
Douglas

7 Oct 2019      

Aisha77
Spain

"Catercorner" is "el corner de los catetos" which means the corner in the class where all bad students (CATETOS) go. 

Thanks God this is already debunked! Poor those ones who had suffered this type of punishment! 
Catetos = Rednecks! I love this word! i didn�t know, I just learned it now! Rednecks! wow! I will use it with someone, ehehe!

7 Oct 2019     

douglas
United States

Okay, I said i would pick a winner today, but I am in a little bit of a time crunch. So I can�t really go too deep into the great responses (catering, corners, hangovers, bad grades, etc.) let it suffice to I say that I enjoyed all your inputs.

And the winner is Aisha77!

She taught me a new word, was so excited to learn a new one herself, and has given me the opportunity to make a comment or two about the word Redneck:

Redneck is a good word, but it can be dangerous to use--be careful.  There are many different interpretations of its meaning and there is almost never an exact translation into other languages. For some it is a high compliment and a source of pride, for others it is very derogatory. Hillbilly is very close in meaning, but in the last decade or more the term Redneck has taken-on its own persona (with much credit for that going to comedian Jeff Foxworthy and his crew).

Redneck is more an attitude or state of mind than anything else, so use it with caution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

Cheers,
Douglas

8 Oct 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Oh!! Thanks a million for the advice, cause I was gonna use it with my sister-in-law, so I better take care... 
It�s a pleasure knowing you are the winner, but not that much to find a word for the next contest, so I�ll try my best!
I will post it in a couple of hours if you don�t mind.
Cheers 
Aisha ;) 

8 Oct 2019