Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day

Thank you, redcamarocruiser! The new Word of the Day is 

Meleagris. 

Remember, do NOT give the real definition! I want the best "daffynition" you can invent! I will select a winner either when this post leaves the forum or when there are enough answers to pick from. Enjoy! 

25 Nov 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh, MM,  a French word! Fair enough! A meleagris is a social occasion when everyone has a whale of a time and gets drunk. M�l� = uproarious get-together; � gris = until you get off your trolley drunk. So, a French word, but very much a British event.

26 Nov 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Oh oh ! How do you know the new Policy in the Scottish rugby strategy ???

This method is based on French colors (gris means grey). So meleagris means that all the players in a "mélêe" have to use grey socks and sweaters to deceive the other team and make them do wrong things.

26 Nov 2019     

douglas
United States

Everyone knows Arthur, Sir Galahad and Lancelot, but few know of the eccentric Sir Gaelem. The poor knight was once a squire with an unusual quirk--he tended to say things backwards when he got nervous. So whenever he was beckoned by his Lord, he would get nervous and "Me� Liege" would come out as "Gaelem". He was a wonderful squire and once on a quest with his Lord he saved an entire village from bandits. Apparently he met the attacking ruffians on the road and gave them the wrong directions (reversing the directions like he did his words), which led them to an army of Kingsmen (not the bards, though they did sing of his adventures later) who quickly secured the men who were wanted for having had their way with one of Guinevere�s vestal (no-longer) virgins. "Gaelem", as he had been nicknamed by his liege, was touted as a hero and Arthur himself knighted him as Sir Gaelem the Rearward Unfortunately (or not), Sir Galeam now refers to himself as Maelagris which causes people to mistake him for a mage rather than a knight.

Over time, as his story was shared by the bards and spread across the land, the word "maelagris" has come to refer to person that has a good soul, but is somewhat backwards in their manner and behavior. This word is especially popular when referring to young, pubescent boys who become quite nervous when they are approaching and attempting to speak with fair young  maidens.

"Milady, I think the young squire is smitten by you, look how maelagris he is when he�s in your presence."

26 Nov 2019