Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help!!!!! Multiple Choice.     

Help!!!!! Multiple Choice.

tinawu8
China

Help!!!!! Multiple Choice.

Hi, everyone!
Here is a multiple choice exercise.
---Jack, I will go to Hong Kong Disneyland with my parents next week.
---__________
A. Oh! It �s very interesting.  B. Lucky you! Enjoy yourselves! 
C. It �s a pleasure.                D. I hope I can go with you.

I �m not sure which answer is the best. The answer provided is B. But some of my colleagues say both B and D are right. You know, in China, when someone hears that kind of news, he or she may express his or her feeling like "I hope I can go with you." or " If I �m free, I hope I can go there, too." This is a typical way of Chinese thinking. I really don �t know how a native speaker would answer it. So I just want to ask for your help.  Which one is better?

Thanks!!!!! And have a nice weekend!!!!!!!!

13 Mar 2009      

source
Turkey

oh my god what a conflicting question...your colleagues are right i think...

13 Mar 2009     

napolilisa
Italy

I agree that only B is correct, though it �s very subtle. To make D correct, I think it would have to  be "I wish I could go with you." The first speaker didn �t invite the second to go with him, so there �s no reason why he �s hoping he can tag along!

13 Mar 2009     

tinawu8
China

Yes, I got it! Thanks a lot for all of your kind help!
You know, the education in China is kind of examination-oriented education, the English teaching mostly focuses on testing.  As a teacher, it �s really hard to help students develop all the four skills in English learning at the same time in class. Usually there are 55-65 students in one class. Yeah! That �s a very big one.  And every day, they just have one or two English lessons. (We have to teach the four skills wihtin 40 minutes) In order to help students to pass the exams, we have to focus on the exams. So we have to ask students to do lots of different kinds of exercises about grammars, listening and writing over and over again. BORING! Cry  After years of training, most students can get high marks in the exams, but they can �t speak very good English or they can �t understand what others speak. This is the current situation of Chinese students in learning English.  What poor students and teachers! Unhappy

13 Mar 2009     

spring
Turkey

Hi Tina,
I am not a native speaker but this question seems controversial.
You know manners and context is very important in dialogues.
We should be informed if it is formal or informal speech.
Option B seems suitable yet option A also seems suitable.
If I had asked this question to my Ss I am sure that some of them would have choosen A.
Going to Disneyland is an interesting event for them.(I guess this is the case for many others)
Option C may also be the right option with slight changes.
If I were you I would change this question into this:

Which statement cannot be used in this dialogue???

What do you think??LOL
But you had better ask it to native speakers.
I am a poor EFL teacherTongue...

13 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

A. Oh! It �s very interesting.  B. Lucky you! Enjoy yourselves! 
C. It �s a pleasure.                D. I hope I can go with you.

A - sounds like you don �t give a damn.
B -is wishing the very best - and is a nice answer.
C - can not be used at all
D - Should say- That sounds exciting, I wish I could go too!

Also, the tone of voice is very important.
Oh, it �s interesting doesn �t "read" as being arrogant, but with the right tone of voice it can almost sound like an insult!!!

Hope this helps
L

13 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

Grammatically speaking D is correct, however to American ears (mine at least) it is very strange and somewhat rude. �It sounds like the person is "fishing" for an invitation which puts the family going to Disney Land in an awkward position.

13 Mar 2009