Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Knock- on effect and domino effect    

Knock- on effect and domino effect

dackala
Serbia

Knock- on effect and domino effect

Hi to all,

I was reading the thread on this forum  https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/knock-on-effect-domino-effect.627423/ but it is still unclear to me whether knock-on effect is the same as domino effect or it a separate phrase with a bit different meaning?

30 Mar 2020      

savilla
Australia

They are two separate phrases, with very similar meanings.

I found some of those posts confusing but here are the definitions and examples given in the Collins dictionary: 

knock-on effect (British): something that results inevitably but indirectly from another event or circumstance.
The knock-on effect is seen in our neighbourhoods and communities.
The cut in new car prices has had a knock-on effect on the price of used cars.

Domino effect SINGULAR NOUN 
If one event causes another similar event, which in turn causes another event, and so on, you can refer to this as a domino effect. The domino effect if one train is cancelled is enormous.

If something causes something else to happen, then you�d say it has had a knock-on effect.
If something causes something else to cause something to happen. Which in turn, causes something else to happen. Which in turn..  then you�d call it a Domino effect. Just like a series of dominoes falling. 

I hope that helps!  

30 Mar 2020     

dackala
Serbia

Thank you @savilla! I had the same thoughts on that but I was not sure.

Best wishes,
Darija 

30 Mar 2020     

savilla
Australia

No worries Darija!

30 Mar 2020     

douglas
United States

Wow never heard "knock-on effect" before. Learned a new BE/AE thing--thanks

31 Mar 2020