Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which tense    

Which tense

cheezels
New Zealand

Which tense

I have been doing so much marking my brain has melted..... I �m down to my last two and have teachers block...
When we use "has had".... which tense specifically is this? I know its easy, I just am floundering at this second Big smile

"However, a dream she have had since she was young, is to have a small caf� with books and newspapers, cozy sofas and such�" (The have is wrong it needs to be has had)

so should be

However, a dream she has had since she was young, is to have a small caf� with books and newspapers, cozy sofas and such�

I think it could be present perfect because present perfect can be used for an action beginning in the past and still continuing..

Can a grammar guru help me out please?

14 Mar 2009      

Mariethe House
France

It IS Present Perfect.

petite Roche!

14 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Yep. I �m not a gram-guru, but would definitely use �has had �. Don �t worry. That �s it. Now, leave the tests to the side and go out. 

14 Mar 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Thank you Big smile I know its has had..... but I also have to say WHY in the feedback... and I thought it was present perfect... but you know what its like when you get towards the end and your eyes are blurry and your brain is shutting down... and you start to doubt yourself...hehe...
THANK YOU GUYS!!!!

Cool not much more to do... woooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo

14 Mar 2009     

Mariethe House
France

... Because it �s related to present time: She HAD the dream when she was young and still HAS it in present time! So, it �s Present perfect, which is the tense that links past to present!

But I am not a grammar guru!

14 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

Marie is right on the account of the time frame of the sentence - also it carries a "since" in it, which tends to go with the present perfect (or any other perfect tense... BUT usually it an indicator of the Present Perfect!)

14 Mar 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

right... I �d just like to add something..

In fact, it �s present Perfect... the most difficult tense for portuguese students when they have to contrast it with the past simple... However... when you say ....

"..think it could be present perfect because present perfect can be used for an action beginning in the past and still continuing..""  

Well, ... when you say this you �re referring to the Present Perfect Continuous... Ex: She has been doing something... (she started in the past and still continues...)

Greetings from Portugal

14 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

*blowing a horn* Doot -do - do - doot!!!
A fanfare for our grammar gurus!
What would we do without them!!!????
They are 10 times better at explaining than any old dictionary
or encyclopedia!!!
Thumbs Up

Thanks and a big fanfare!!
L

14 Mar 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hmmmmm present perfect continuous .....
 To be honest I was getting confused between the two because of the use of Since she was young... because my grammar bible says for and since are used with present perfect....

also....." because present perfect can be used for an action beginning in the past and still continuing..""   Is the reason my book gives for defining this tense saying before it...The present perfect can be used with a time expression: (then the reason given in green....)

How do people ever manage to learn this darn language!!!????? LOL

Grammar makes my brain bleed.

14 Mar 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

the difference between present perfect simple and continuous usually relies on the type of verb you use, if it is dinamic or state. With dinamic verbs, you �ll geerally use a present perfect continuous to express the action is still onin the present, but when you use state verbs, then you can only use the present perfect simple and it would have the same meaning...

Hope I have helped! (or would it be have been helping?Confused) LOL!

14 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Morning people...

Great to see how much Cheezels enjoys correction! wowwwwwwwww...   Thumbs Up
Thanks for the morning smiles...Smile

If you need a Grammar Guru...stop reading here.  Unhappy
If you are still there... this is what I know:

Perfect tenses
are associated with since and for.

Both Present Perfect and PP Continuous are used for an action started in the past and still continuing or just finished.

I have bought several books on this subject.

I have been waiting for hours.

The difference between using one and the other is that in the second case -PPC- you want to emphasize the duration of the action so a time expression is a must.
Besides, there are verbs you will never use in a continuous tense and they are those called "stative" verbs (love, hate, see, hear, contain, etc)

Hope it helps a bit...!

14 Mar 2009