Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day    

Word of the day

Jayho
Australia

Word of the day

Hi everyone

Thank you Maryse, for choosing my definition.

The new word of the day is an 18th century word no longer used, so let�s make a new definition for it (even though the real definition is still most applicable today!).

Fudgel - what is your suggested definition (or story) for Fudgel?

Cheers

Jayho

27 Apr 2020      

maryse pey�
France

Easy : FUDGEL is for FUrious & Ferocious Delicatessen Generally ELectrified to dynamite bad temper !

27 Apr 2020     

karagozian
France

Oh! I�m feeling a little unsettled here, even embarrassed.
Come on, this is not the place to put this kind of insanity!
As I understand it "FUD" is widely accepted in Scotland as being a slang term for the female reproductive organs. I think it is quite derogatory.
So, I don�t need to explain the meaning of "FUD-gel". I do not think either, that it is the sort of gel we all need now to clean or wash our hands against coronavirus !!!!!

27 Apr 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

No, no, no, no. Sorry people, you are all wrong. A FUDGEL is a kind of hammer used for bashing hard toffee to turn it into fudge. 

27 Apr 2020     

valodra
France

It does come from Fudge, dear Spinney, but you got it wrong I am sorry…..
A Fudgel is a "porte-manteau" word = Fudge + angel
That is the kind of Fudge -  sooo tasty ,sooooooo delicious ,  sooooo "gourmet" - that  you could  see an angel ( flying around ? )
These Fudgels are becoming hard to find these days , ….and so are angels :-(

27 Apr 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I declare myself as unsettled and as embarrassed as The Karagozian to see this horrible word on this pristine and saintly site. I am, let�s say, with not a small amount of understatement, mildly surprised, that Jayho, an Aussie, correct me if I am wrong about this, knows the word fudgel,  which she clearly does. I thought it was a local word, that is, a word used around here, in my neck of the woods. So, what is this highly disreputable word? Fud = dough, lolly, the readies, aka money. We all love it! Go on, admit it, you love money, you too!  But I prefer trees. To gel is to wash. Yes, fudgelling* is money laundering. I don�t actually know any fudgellers, but I do know plenty funny fellers, another thing entirely. 

Edit: that should be *fudgeling because the accent is on the fudge, I thinkErmm

27 Apr 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I made fudge, but because of my diet can only eat a fugeling, that is, a small piece. The rest I freeze for later.

27 Apr 2020     

douglas
United States

Quite simply---

a Fudgel is a fur-covered cudgel
(I hear you can buy them online and they come in discrete packaging). 

Note 1: They are quite effective for extreme cases where a teacher must discipline their students with "kid gloves", but the kid gloves are just too soft.

Note 2: They are also available for pre-school age children (see picture below).

Tip: If you give the child a bar of chocolate along with the "toy" it tends to look and smell like fudge which is a good tool for developing the different senses (touch, taste, smell, texture,..)

Baby Toys Baby Lovely Monkey Soft Hand Rattles Bell Stick Kids ...

28 Apr 2020     

savilla
Australia

During the Coronavirus pandemic, it became common for everyone to use hand sanitiser, to clean their hands and kill the virus.
Generation Z (Founders) realised that many of the hand sanitiser products were actually next to useless, containing only a small concentration of alcohol or sometimes just bleach or detergent. They christened these hand sanitiser gels "fudgel", as they were being sold to people on the basis of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

29 Apr 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

This is the last chance for you to submit your alternative definition (or story) of this 18th century word no longer used,  (even though the real definition is still most applicable today!).

So far, our fantabulous contributions are:

- a word based on Scottish slang
- a kind of hammer for bashing toffee to tun it into fudge
- a type of angelic fudge
- another word for money laundering
- a small piece of fudge
- a fur covered cudgel
- a marketing ploy for hand sanitiser

Fudgel - do you have a suggested definition (or story) for Fudgel that you would like to share?  Don�t be shy - all contributions welcome.

Cheers

Jayho

30 Apr 2020     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

FUDGEL
Dear Members,
Very briefly, this word IS what IT SAYS IT IS.
FUDGEL
Or, if I make it easier for you, I will break it into it�s two component words:

FUDGE ELL
Way back in the year Sixteen-Plinky Plonk, before I was born, Trading Standards and Measurements had not been invented, nor had they been clearly regularised. In many cases sizes, weights, and liquid measurements were simply a guess.
So, tradespeople, shopkeepers, and market workers had to do the best they could with what was available to them.
In England, we used the measurements, "foot"; "hand"; "palm"; "nail"; "finger"; barley-corn"; "poppy-seed", etc.",

The old English word, "ell", was used for measuring cloth.
It was slightly larger than the English "yard", and slightly smaller the the Continental "metre". But, every town, city, and region had a different opinion regarding the CORRECT size of an "ell".

So, a customer buying cloth �had to have his eyes wide open�; �he had to have his wits about him�; �he had to keep his eyes on the ball�.

The market trader sometimes wanted to cheat the customer, by giving him a shorter length of cloth.
So, he would misrepresent, falsify,fake the measurement of the ell.

He would FUDGE it.

He was a "Fudge-ell"

Les Douglas

P.S. I have just received an urgent phone call from my friend, John, the librarian. He has recently discovered ANOTHER set of conversations, by the ROYAL FAMILY of Queen Victoria.
Unfortunately, I must cook and eat now, With your kind permission, I will get back to you, on the ESLP Forum, later tonight.
Les Douglas 

30 Apr 2020     

1    2    Next >