Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > read and think    

read and think

pauguzman
Argentina

read and think

I went to my medical man...I went straight up and saw him, and he said:"Well, what �s the matter with you?"

I said: "I will not take up your time, dear boy, with telling you what is the matter with me.  Life is brief, and you might pass away before I had finished.  But I will tell you what is NOT the matter with me.  I have not got housemaid �s knee.  Why I have not got housemaid �s knee, I cannot tell you; but the fact remains that I have not got it.  Everything else, however, I HAVE got."

And I told him how I came to discover it all.

Then he opened me and looked down me, and clutched hold of my wrist, and then he hit me over the chest when I wasn �t expecting it - a cowardly thing to do, I call it - and immediately afterwards butted me with the side of his head.  After that, he sat down and wrote out a prescription, and folded it up and gave it me, and I put it in my pocket and went out.

I did not open it.  I took it to the nearest chemist �s, and handed it in.  The man read it, and then handed it back. He said he didn �t keep it.

I said: "You are a chemist?"

He said: "I am a chemist.  If I was a co-operative stores and family hotel combined, I might be able to oblige you.  Being only a chemist hampers me."

I read the prescription.  It ran:

"1 lb. beefsteak, with
 1 pt. bitter beer
every 6 hours.
1 ten-mile walk every morning.
1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
And don �t stuff up your head with things you don �t understand."

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome

Big smile enjoy your weekend my dear friends!!
PAULA

14 Mar 2009