Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > The new WOD, or the WOD of the day !!!!    

The new WOD, or the WOD of the day !!!!

karagozian
France

The new WOD, or the WOD of the day !!!!

WORD DAFFYNITION CONTEST

Hello to all of you and a special thank you to Aisha for choosing my delirium which was not quite a definition. So, this came totally unexpected to me.

Well here comes then my new word. Hope nobody knows it and that this will engender the most hilarious definitions. Of course, as usual, I choose a word that is "supposedly" unknown, except to the natives, the more intelligent and the blatherskites (what�s that again!). 

So here goes Kakorrhaphiophobia for this DAFFYNITION contest. Hope your inputs and imagination will be numerous, generous and funny. Long life to this site !

15 Jun 2020      

douglas
United States

a strong aversion to bad (kaka) choreography

15 Jun 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Tss tss Douglas ! You don�t like "les petits rats" ? In French the young dancers (female partlcularly) are called "small rats", let�s say "cute mice".

No no no ! Kakorrhaphiophobia has nothing to do with dance.

Imagine a "cacatoes" (a species of parrot) - orphan of course - playing a rhapsody with an amphibian and you will have the perfect illustration of a kakorrhaphiophobic scene... And of course they are playing this rhapsody in a "rafiot" (boat in French slang).

Afficher l’image source Afficher l’image source

15 Jun 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s a fear of making horrible discordant sounds in English. So afraid of making this error are we that, so as to avoid making such a clanger,  we all chant in unison every morning, at 6:55 a.m:
It�s flipflop,not flapflip, slipslop, not slopslip, 
kitkat not katkit, brickbat, not batbrick
We must dinga-donga, linger longer,
diktat bric-a-brac, 
c�est � dire krimskrams (rhymes with Reims) 
en France. 

15 Jun 2020     

savilla
Australia

I am boycotting this week because karagozian has made this word up. It can�t possibly be a real English word!

15 Jun 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@savilla, it will help if you just accept that karagozian is a shenanigator. 

16 Jun 2020     

savilla
Australia

Oh thank you @cunliffe. Now everything is crystal clear to me

Here goes.

Many people are frightened of rap music. There are many groups in the genre who are terrifying, not to mention the music itself.
It�s less common to find people that are scared of cake and cupcakes.
kakorrhaphiophobia is the very rare disorder where a person is scared of both cake and rap.

16 Jun 2020     

MarionG
Netherlands

Kakorrhaphiophobia is the fear of having others hear your bowel movement while using the bathroom. (or less common, the fear of hearing other people�s bowel movements) 
Embarrassing as it might be to talk about, this is an issue we as teachers, need to be aware off. If you have a student who always asks to go to the bathroom even though they just had a break, s/he might be suffering from kakorraphiophobia. A student with this condition will feel extremely uncomfortable using the school bathroom while other students are near. Disregarding their predicament can cause serious stomach pains or constipation. 

16 Jun 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ MarionLOLLOLLOL

16 Jun 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Or the fear of others hearing you clear your throat in public.

16 Jun 2020     

karagozian
France

We are at the end of the page and I declare after much h�sitating and laughing and now suffering on this damn�s phone that doesn t want to write what I want that Marion is the best. It is up to you Marion to comme up with a new word. This is not a labtop !!! A�cha where are you ?????

18 Jun 2020     

1    2    Next >