Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD DAFFYNITIONS    

WORD DAFFYNITIONS

Gurnoor
Switzerland

WORD DAFFYNITIONS

Hello everyone :)

You may have missed this  near occurance but there was a mighty tussle  between the glorious Mr. Sun and a brigade of determined dark clouds in the skies recently. Mr. Sun wanted to rise from the west and the cloud Brigade would have none of it. 
One of the fall-outs of this  scuffle was that I, that�s me Gurnoor won the daffinition competition. I actually won something!

So here�s the next word for you all to put your mind to.

TIFFLEBUD 

Good luck! :) 

2 Jul 2020      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, I am impressed! Not many people know about this as it is a new invention, just days old. You will all want this! Tifflebud is a computer programme for ESL teachers. You feed in your worksheets and it sends them back, but they are interactive! Er, a bit like Live worksheets, BUT,  TIFFLEBUD adds beautiful flower decorations. 

2 Jul 2020     

douglas
United States

This word, tifflebud, is a lesson in American culture.

Baseball is one of America�s top sports and few other countries share much enthusiasm for, nor a basic understanding of, the silly sport. Yet American children are indoctrinated into baseball at a very young age:

Somewhere around their third birthday American children (especially boys) usually receive a WIFFLE BALL set, which is a light plastic bat and ball they can use to learn the required hand-eye coordination for hitting a small baseball with a skinny bat (and inevitably one or more of their siblings at some point which makes for a love-hate relationship with Wiffle bats).

Somewhere about the age of 4 or 5 excited parents sign their children up for the local "Pee-Wee" baseball league. In pee wee league, also known as "TEE BAll" , children are taught the intricacies of the game of baseball (fielding, batting, chatter, show-boating, etc.). Because these poor souls are still developing and don�t always have the necessary hand-eye coordination, instead of pitching (throwing) the ball for the tot to try to hit, the ball is placed on a TEE, (which is similar to a golf tee, but supersized). The child then swings away at the ball, trying to hit it from the tee.

In the current hyper-sensitive, "I�ll sue you" culture that has developed over the years, safety precautions in America sometimes (often?) out-trump common sense. So out of fear of being sued or having their, or someone else�s, precious little brat get hurt, parents are moving to a Wiffle Version of Tee Ball where a wiffle set is used with a tee to "prevent" anyone from getting hurt.

As more and more states in the USA are legalizing medical and recreational use of marijuana, we are finding more and more coaches, volunteers, and parents enjoy a little "hit" before teaching thekids to hit. At some point a "creative" coach realized that the ball sitting on a tee looked a lot like the BUD of  a plant (I�ll leave the type of plant to your own imagination). So while trying to guide a stressed-out, budding young athlete at bat, the coach enthusiastically told the toddler "That�s right buddy, just  hit the bud!". The mostly high spectators in the bleachers found the sentence quite funny and began to giggle (quietly, fearing others may notice they were high).

In the end we came-up with a new word that defines a small part of American culture---T (tee ball) - iffle (Wiffle) - bud (from a plant).--- A tifflebud is a light plastic baseball setting on a supersized tee 

3 Jul 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Résultat d’images pour crazy cup of tea clipart
I am the special cup of TEA for my FOOLish BUDdy...

3 Jul 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

Honestly!!! I did not expect to see this on such a respectable site. TIFFLEBUD is, of course, another way of saying the, ahem ..., carnal act.
Example: "The young married couple next door are so in love, which is sweet, but I wish they were a little quieter during tifflebud."

3 Jul 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Tifflebud: It�s a lover�s tiff

tiff - a small disagreement
le - French �the�
bud - a term of endearment that some people use for their other half (short for buddy)

I had a tifflebud this morning. (Chocolate will help me recover!)

3 Jul 2020     

savilla
Australia

Tifflebud: it�s a cup of tea made for you by your friend.
Note: it almost always tastes better than the cup of tea you make for yourself!

Usage: After work, I visited my friend Mick Dundee and he made me a tifflebud. 

3 Jul 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Tiffle is an exotic plant. Bud is a "small lateral or terminal protuberance on the stem of a plant that may develop into a flower, leaf, or shoot" (Webster). Tifflebud is a shoot from which we can grow a new Tiffleplant.

4 Jul 2020     

FrauSue
France

It�s an old Anglo-Saxon irregular verb (tifflebud, tifflebade, tifflebodden), use to describe the process of whacking thistles with a large flat wooden beater to allow peasants to work the fields without being scratched by these spiky plants.

We worked for hours planting the wheat, but luckily the field had been tifflebodden the previous day. 

5 Jul 2020