Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day: 21st August 2020    

Word of the Day: 21st August 2020

FrauSue
France

Word of the Day: 21st August 2020

Thank you Jayho for choosing my definition, and many apologies for not seeing your message sooner. I was on holiday.

The new word awaiting your funny, bizarre and outlandish definitions is: HICCATEE 

21 Aug 2020      

savilla
Australia

�allo �allo FrauSue!

Well this one is super simple!

A hiccatee is the sort of tee-shirt that only a hick would be seen wearing.

hick (noun) =  an unsophisticated provincial person
[Merriam Webster: because I always cite my sources. Well, except when I don�t ]

21 Aug 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

Savilla is almost right, as it goes. But it is something that happens when one is drinking tea and reads something funny. Very similar to what happened when I saw Savilla�s entry. It is like a hiccough, in that it is an uncontrolable contraction of the diaphragm, due to laughter, and the "tee" is a corruption of "tea." 

21 Aug 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

HICCATEE is an expression meaning "nonsense, "indeed" or "You don�t say." It originated as an abbriviation for the children�s rhyme, "Hickety, pickety, my black hen, She lays good eggs for gentlemen; Gentlemen come every day, To see what my black hen doth lay."

22 Aug 2020     

maryse pey�
France

I named my cat like that because HI ! my CAT is sipping her TEA... whatever time of day or night it can be !

22 Aug 2020     

Jayho
Australia

After indulging in just a wee bit too much champagne, it is what Andrew Upton utters when introducing his wife Cate Blanchett at fancy pants events:    "I�d like to introduce my wife *Hic*Cate(e)"

22 Aug 2020     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

HICCATEE is a cat native to Tahiti. It�s quite royal looking, cuddly, yet independent and has one blue and one green eye. What sets it apart is the fact that it causes "hiccups" as a symptom in people who are allergic to cats. Hence the name. 
Allergy + source + region of origin = HICCATEE. :) 

22 Aug 2020     

douglas
United States

A hiccatee is a cat that comes from a far removed corner of the countryside has little social experiences (a hick) and may not be the brightest:

hick- a person who lives in the country, regarded as unintelligent or parochial

catee--nick name for a cat, similar to kitty

a Hick Catee: A cat who lives in the countryside and is regarded as unintelligent and parochial.

28 Aug 2020     

FrauSue
France

Thanks everyone for your definitions.The winner is Gurnoor for a very detailed explanation!

The Hiccatee / Hicatee / Hickatee is in fact a river turtle native to Central America.
"The Hicatee turtle is the only living species in an ancient family dating back 65 million years. It is so resilient that it outlived the dinosaurs. Once widespread, the Hicatee is now critically endangered due to overhunting and in desperate need of greater protection and innovative conservation actions." 

29 Aug 2020     

savilla
Australia

@FrauSue you are making me  Poor turtles! 

29 Aug 2020