Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Need: modal and main     

Need: modal and main

sadbird
Belarus

Need: modal and main

Good evening dear colleagues, Hope this school year will bring you only positive emotions and school days full of enrichment and joy! It is just the beginning of the year and I am already at loss. The thing is that I can�t think of a good way to explain my students how to use the verb�need� as modal or as main. Could you share some of your tips, please. Thank you in advance.

5 Sep 2020      

jfelipenaranjo
Colombia

It seems like a tricky topic. I guess what I would do is to create scenarios where both ways could be used, such when you are filling in papers or something like that. Do I need to write my complete name? need I write 3 friend�s phones? I can only think of two. Need I keep a copy of this? Also, I see sometimes it could be used as a must... Must you buy that? Need you buy it? Must you print those silly memes? Need you print those things? (as to show the unnecessary things you are doing) I guess, the difficult task here is to find the perfect scenario to make it clear enough. http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/grammar/need.htm

6 Sep 2020     

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting question with a complex answer, as Felipe suggested, sadbird. From a grammatical perspective, it helps if you treat need primarily as a lexical verb (what you call a "main" verb) but one which can also express modality in much the same way as other modal verbs (which is why it�s often referred to as a semi- or quasi-modal). 

As a purely lexical verb (that is, it has different forms, for example, which convey tense, aspect and voice), need takes -s in 3rd person singular, has -ed and -ing inflections for past and participial forms, requires auxiliary do for interrogatives and negatives, and is normally followed by a to-infinitive. Just like a �normal� verb:

–Everybody needs somebody sometime.
–Wow! I needed that. 
–Do you need a hand?
–I don�t need this!
–They need to study harder. 

As a modal, it would have the same behaviour as other modal verbs (no special inflection for tense etc, no need for auxiliary do, never occurs without a main verb except when implied), but is usually followed only by a bare infinitive. This is where it gets interesting, though. Modal need is most often used in negative statements to express a lack of necessity ("You needn�t sit the exam if you don�t want to"), although it turns up – very rarely – in questions ("Need I go on?"), and ever so rarely in whether- and if-clauses ("I doubt whether anyone need do this"). You�ll probably find that many grammar books will say that these forms are less common in American English.

As far as integrating all this into a lesson, you could do worse than find a contemporary text where modality – and particularly elements like necessity, duty and obligation – is used extensively. The current pandemic provides myriad examples from official documents and instructions to press articles of the various shades of modality and how they might be employed, depending on context (lots of emphasis on permission, possibility, obligation – and, of course, necessity). This, for example, is an article (from the US) which uses variations of need at least half a dozen times (including the semi-modal in the headline):

6 Sep 2020     

sadbird
Belarus

Thank you very much for your suggestions and ideas! As far as I can understand from your posts it is the context or situations which matter. I suppose that it will not be difficult to teach them the forms, but my students who are about 14 years old will struggle with the meaning. Did I get it right that it is possible to compare the modal �need� with �mustn�t� or �have to� and tell them that the lexical meaning of this verb is connected with something which is necessary. The thing is that in our mother tongue there aren�t as many modal verbs with so many aspects as in English. Thank you for being so responsive!

6 Sep 2020     

eslberri
Tunisia

https://www.englisch-hilfen.de/uebungen/modalverben/must_need_have_allowed.htm

10 Sep 2020     

eslberri
Tunisia

https://www.englisch-hilfen.de/uebungen/modalverben/must_need_have_allowed.htm

10 Sep 2020